Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Grand Canyon, Saguaro NP, Petrified Forest NP, Antelope Canyon (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/grand-canyon-saguaro-np-petrified-forest-np-antelope-canyon-1720701/)

wheretheroadtakesus Feb 24th, 2024 02:26 PM

Grand Canyon, Saguaro NP, Petrified Forest NP, Antelope Canyon

Planning a trip for this summer. I have read past threads. Looking for suggestions on tour operators for Antelope Canyon. Has anyone been since they stopped allowing bags of all kinds? Upper or Lower Canyon tour preference - why? Number of days suggested for each park? Favorite lodging, restaurants and places to visit? Thank you!

J62 Feb 24th, 2024 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by wheretheroadtakesus (Post 17538537)
Planning a trip for this summer. I have read past threads. Looking for suggestions on tour operators for Antelope Canyon. Has anyone been since they stopped allowing bags of all kinds? Upper or Lower Canyon tour preference - why? Number of days suggested for each park? Favorite lodging, restaurants and places to visit? Thank you!

GC: if only visiting the South rim area, 2 days is ok. If you plan to hike far below the rim then more. An overnight stay at Phantom Ranch, add more day. Depends on what you plan or want to do.

Saguaro. Half to one day. Lots to see and do elsewhere in the Tucson area. Dont forget Sedona, between GC and Tucson

Petrified Forest. Its worth a few hours at most if you happen to be driving by I dont find it worth a detour or a long drive, period.

Michael Feb 24th, 2024 04:29 PM

I believe that there is only one tour operator for the upper canyon. Reservations are a must.

I agree with J26 that the Petrified Forest is not worth a destination just a drive by if you happen to be in the area.

wheretheroadtakesus Feb 25th, 2024 05:41 AM

I found this post after starting this thread. Helpful comparison of Antelope Canyon options.

https://unearththevoyage.com/upper-v...telope-canyon/

PrairieHikerI Feb 25th, 2024 05:56 AM

To get the full experience, try to stay in one of the great historic lodges at the South Rim. Also, when at Antelope Canyon you will be only two hours from Monument Valley Tribal Park which has stunning scenery with sandstone geological formations from 400 to 1,000 feet high.

HappyTrvlr Feb 26th, 2024 06:18 PM

You know that there are two Saguaro NPs, west and east?
I prefer the western one as it is adj to Tucson Coty Patk so more to see.

yk Feb 26th, 2024 07:57 PM

We did lower antelope canyon tour last June, not sure what else you want to know. You aren't allowed to bring any bags with you, we only brought water bottles and our cellphones, my brother visited canyon X last Fall.

we just finished visiting Tucson area last week and visited both sides of saguaro NP.

if you click on my screen name you can find my TR on antelope canyon (plus Zion, Bryce, GC N rim) from last June. I’m currently typing my TR on Tucson which will cover saguaro NP.

tomfuller Feb 27th, 2024 06:26 AM

Saguaro. Half to one day. Lots to see and do elsewhere in the Tucson area. Don't forget Sedona, between GC and Tucson

Petrified Forest. Its worth a few hours at most if you happen to be driving by I don't find it worth a detour or a long drive, period.

If you do drive east to Petrified Forest, be sure to stop in Winslow Arizona for a picture standing next to the statue of Glen Frey "Standin' on the Corner in Winslow Arizona". There is a little restaurant in the old bank building across the street. The town's jewelry store is in the vault. Another thing you might want to visit west of Winslow is the meteor crater.
As for Saguaro, save it for last if you are flying in/out of Phoenix if you have lots of time before your flight out.
My favorites in Flagstaff are the Lowell Observatory and the Riordon mansion State Park. South of Sedona is the little town of Cornville AZ which has the Manzanita restaurant which has genuine German cuisine and a few wild game dishes.

mdstump Feb 27th, 2024 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by tomfuller (Post 17539264)
If you do drive east to Petrified Forest, be sure to stop in Winslow Arizona for a picture standing next to the statue of Glen Frey "Standin' on the Corner in Winslow Arizona". There is a little restaurant in the old bank building across the street. The town's jewelry store is in the vault. Another thing you might want to visit west of Winslow is the meteor crater.

If you get to Winslow also visit the La Posada Hotel, one of Mary Coulter's designs.

mdstump Feb 27th, 2024 08:39 AM

La Posada Hotel

Originally Posted by tomfuller (Post 17539264)

If you get to Winslow also visit the La Posada Hotel, one of Mary Coulter's designs.

tomfuller Feb 28th, 2024 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by mdstump (Post 17539299)

My favorite Mary Coulter design is the Desert View tower in the east end of the Grand Canyon.