Grand Canyon Railway and Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone done one of their package deals? Considering it for late October.
Old May 20th, 2015, 09:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The railway trip is not generally recommended here. Better to just drive and spend your time at your own pace at the rim. Book a room in the park, at the rim.
Old May 21st, 2015, 05:13 AM

The Grand Canyon Railway also offers packages that include a night at Maswik Lodge. There are times when I've seen no availability at hotels in the park but availability with these packages, so that is certainly an alternative. And if you don't drive, Amtrak stops in Williams, offering you the opportunity to visit the park by train.

It's better to spend the extra time in the park ... so I agree with that. I'd rather spend 2 nights in the park instead of one night in Williams and one in the park, and there are better hotels than Maswik Lodge.
Old May 21st, 2015, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.

MichelleY-- We have visited (camped two nights) in the South Rim before and loved it. This would be kind of special family trip with more focus on the train aspect. My brother and I, who both like trains, are each celebrating "significant" birthdays this year and thought this would be a fun way to celebrate, along with our spouses.

Doug-- the package we were looking at is the one with the night at Maswik, with two nights in Williams, entertainment on the train, and some food. It seems there are different packages through various companies. Still trying to sort that out.

Would love to hear from anyone who has done one of these packages.
Old May 21st, 2015, 10:29 AM

That's a lot of time staying in Williams, which isn't on the top 10 list of things to do in northern AZ. Plus, at the GC you will be restricted in visiting only the viewpoints served by the shuttle. I don't think there is much in the way of entertainment on the train, other than a staged robbery. Here is my suggestion:

Drive to the GC and stay overnight. Having a car, you will be able to visit viewpoints along the east rim drive not served by the shuttle.

After the GC (you will have two additional nights available by not staying in Williams), drive to Sedona and spend two nights there. Sedona would certainly be high on the top 10 list of things to do in northern AZ. One of the days, take the Verde Canyon Railroad trip. It will be much more scenic than the GC Railway.

http://verdecanyonrr.com/
Old May 21st, 2015, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion, Mike, but this is what my brother wants to do and it is a lot about the train. I am not looking for alternatives but really just any first hand experience on this package trip.
Old May 21st, 2015, 12:50 PM

If your brother has visions of seeing Grand Canyon from the trip on the ride from Williams, he will be very disappointed. If this is something of a dream trip, then get the best package you can and come back and write a trip report so we can find out how it was, you may change some minds.
Old May 21st, 2015, 01:35 PM

Correct, no view of the canyon from the train, only scrub brush, grass and trees. And it won't be pulled by a steam locomotive like is shown on the website, either.
Old May 21st, 2015, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Not a "dream trip"-- just a little fun sister/brother experience. I imagine seeing the canyon while we are staying at Maswick, where we will have the entire day and night.
Old May 21st, 2015, 06:13 PM

So, if someone who has done the package came here and said it sucked, you would do it anyway, isn't that right? If that's the case, you are just wasting everyone's time even posting here.

If it is "all about the train", really, the Verde canyon Railroad, 2 hours each way instead of 2 1/2, gives you the train experience, plus much, much, much better scenery. But you are intent on the GC Railroad for some reason, so why bother asking?
Old May 21st, 2015, 10:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am with Mike on this one.