Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Grand Canyon OR Petrified Forest - January 2011 trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/grand-canyon-or-petrified-forest-january-2011-trip-867856/)

levelheadedwoman Nov 26th, 2010 12:15 PM

Grand Canyon OR Petrified Forest - January 2011 trip

Considering the time of year (and we'll just have one day) ... any recommendations/advice as to whether we should go to GC or PF from our base in Flagstaff? Thanks!

emalloy Nov 26th, 2010 12:22 PM

If you have never been to GC, head there, IMO much more spectacular than Petrified Forest.

J62 Nov 26th, 2010 12:25 PM

agreed. Petrified forest is a 1/2 day at most pit stop as you're driving from NM to AZ. Grand Canyon is a destination in and of itself.

ziggypop Nov 26th, 2010 12:26 PM

Grand Canyon all the way. You will wish you had more than one day. There are several hikes that really are only the length of a parking lot so you can see many different views, but I must say that sundown is my favorite time of day to view the Canyon.

PaulRabe Nov 26th, 2010 01:09 PM

I've been to 41 national parks, many (including these two) more than once apiece.

The Grand Canyon beats Petrified Forest by the width of...
well, I think you can guess.

Kealalani Nov 26th, 2010 01:54 PM

Is there any petrified forest left? I know I have a half dozen pieces of petrified wood from our honeymoon back in '92 Haven't they sold much of the forest to tourists? LOL

That said, GCanyon all the way.

J62 Nov 26th, 2010 02:52 PM

The petrified logs in the national park are protected and are worth seeing. There are also petrified logs found on private lands, and those can be sold as souvenirs.

bigtyke Nov 26th, 2010 06:44 PM

Grand Canyon. I would only do Petrified Forest as part of an extended day trip that also included the Painted Desert (actually now part of the same National Park), Meteor Crater (privately owned, not a part of the NPS) and perhaps Walnut Canyon Nat. Mon., all east of Flagstaff.

On the GC trip, I would do a loop that also includes the trading post at Cameron (get some fry bread), the Navajo Indian store (also in Cameron), and Wupatki/Sunset Crater National Monument.

spirobulldog Nov 27th, 2010 04:41 PM

I am somewhat like Paulrabe, having been to many parks(including GC and PF 3 times each). I would rank PF as one of my least favorites and GC much higher. It still wouldn't make it into my top ten favorites though. But it is one of the few parks that you can do in a day. Your first glimpse of it is something that you will never forget. it will almost bring you to your knees.

bachslunch Nov 28th, 2010 09:55 AM

Have been to both, and will offer up another vote for the Grand Canyon over Petrified Forest if you must choose one over the other. And as others have said above, it's not even close.

levelheadedwoman Nov 29th, 2010 06:15 AM

Thanks folks. I've been to GC, but hubby has not. That is where we'll go!