Grand Canyon north rim mule ride

Feb 17th, 2003, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Grand Canyon north rim mule ride

I have taken the south rim 1 day mule ride and even though I have a fear of heights, I enjoyed the views from and being at Plateau point. I may have a chance to visit the north rim mid-May and assuming this portion of the park will be open by then am considering a half-day or full-day ride into the canyon.

I am looking for comments. Is the trail steeper or narrower than on the south rim ? Is the trip worth it ? How different is a day trip as opposed to a half day ?

The website of the trip operator lists the season as beginning May 15; I'm sure this is dependent on road and trail conditions. I don't see how I should reserve for May 15 when this date is not certain. Has anyone had experience registering for the trip on the same day ?

Thanks.
Mar 7th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

comments ?
Mar 7th, 2003, 10:02 AM

We did the half day mule ride at the North Rim a few years ago in August, and it was terrific. Not too steep, not frightening at all, very much fun. The guides told me that the all day trip was pretty rigorous (too much so for us, but we were novices in this). I have not been to the south rim, so can't compare.
Mar 7th, 2003, 06:19 PM

This was the highlight of our trip to the Grand Canyon. We lucked out and signed on (family of four) at the last minute - 4:30 in the afternoon - for the next morning half-day ride. It was very scary at first - those silly mules like to walk on the outside edge of the trail! But after awhile you relax and begin to take in all that's around you. I remember a tunnel at the bottom of the ride. My kids loved it. Only negative was the incredible amount of mule sh*t on the trail - along with scads of hikers using the same trail - ick! But we have pics and my oh-so-bored teens absolutely loved it. Go for it!

Search this Thread