Grand Canyon itinerary?

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon itinerary?

My husband and kids (ages 9 & 7) will travel to the Grand Canyon in late August. We haven't booked our flights yet, but plan to fly into Vegas (which we want to see) & spend a nite or two there. Then we plan to drive to the GC South Rim(stopping at Hoover Dam) & arrive in the afternoon. We have 4 nites booked at Yavapai Lodge, but I have a feeling two or three nites will suffice. My questions are:
(1) How many days/nites would be ideal for the Grand Canyon? We don't plan to do any major hiking into the canyon (kids are too young, I think). We want to see the main sights & do fun activities, without being rushed.
(2) What are the "must" things to do there (aside from seeing the rim at sunrise & sunset)? Any good tours or hikes or "must see" places? Would also help to know how long things take, so I can better plan the trip.
(3) Any thoughts pro or con on the Glen Canyon Smooth Water Raft Ride. The agent who booked us at the Yavapai suggested it. It's a full day (7AM to 6pm) & would cost us about $350, so I'd like to know if it's worth it.
(4) Any thoughts on those "Young Ranger" programs they offer?
(5) Any suggestions pro or con about restaurants in the GC park?
(6) We may fly out of Phoenix, instead of driving back to Vegas. Any thoughts sightseeing on the ride south? How much time would we need in Sedona? Anything else a "must see" on the way down?
Thx SO much in advance for your help!
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 10:19 PM

Since you don't plan on doing major hiking at the Grand Canyon, you might want to only spend three nights to have two full days at the canyon. Spend one day riding the shuttle buses to Hermits rest. Get off the shuttle buses and walk some of the rim hike. The paths closest to the starting point are very good paths. Spend a day going out to Desert View and checking all the vista points.

The reason the smooth water rafting trip takes so long is because they have to bus you up to Page, AZ and then from Lee's Ferry bus you back to the Grand Canyon.

You can do the same smooth water rafting trip from Page, AZ on your own. Adults are $59 and children under 12 are $49. You might enjoy spending the night at Lake Powell instead of your nights at the Grand Canyon.

http://www.lakepowell.com/

Go to "online reservations" and "Wahweap Marina" then "reserve a raft trip" You can check here to see if the times and dates are available. We haven't done this yet but plan to do it on our trip there this August. Another great idea is the all day boat tour to Rainbow Bridge National Monument on Lake Powell (Glen Canyon National Recreational Area) My boys loved this trip and so did we.

You also might like driving back to Las Vegas and seeing Zion National Park on your way back. When my boys were your kids ages they loved to go tubing on the Virgin River in Zion. You can rent tubes in nearby Springdale, Utah.

If instead, you do decide on Sedona you might enjoy taking Hwy 395 loop just north of Flagstaff to see Wupatki National Monument (ruins) and just north of Camp Verde is another great display of ruins called Montezuma's Castle National Monument.

Utahtea

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 04:24 AM

Even though the Canyon is spectacular, two nights there may be enough, unless you are doing some serious hiking. Do at least part of Bright Angel trail, which is not too demanding. A seven year old should be fine, and there is a water & rest room stop about 1/3 of the way down. Sedona should be given at least 2 nights - it is a very beautiful town with lots to see and do. Ther are some great hikes and picnic spots in the area. We did the Devil's Bridge hike which is very neat for youngsters, and about 3 hours total. Just get a Red Rocks parking pass in town, which allows you to park at the various trailheads in the area.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 05:05 AM

You asked about the Junior Ranger programs at the park... They are a great way to involve children. Basically, they involve completing tasks, including attending a Ranger program. The child gets a nifty sew-on patch upon completion.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Rob

No major hiking - two nights at most. Since young children are involved one night two days in Sedona. If ypu exit the Canyon through the East Entrance there is a loop road off of rt. 89 that takes you through Wupatki and Sunset Crater National Monuments. Close to the junction of I 40 and 89 is Walnut Canyon National Monument.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, all, for your input. I appreciate it. Now it looks like we're gonna fly home out of Vegas, not Phoenix. If so, we'll drive back to Vegas via Zion Natl Park. So it looks like: arrive Vegas Sat nite, leave for GC Monday AM, & then leave for Zion & other points on Wed, then fly home out of Vegas on Friday AM. Sound doable?
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 08:31 PM

Yes it sounds do able.

You will have part of a day on Mon. to see the Grand Canyon and all of Tuesday. I would suggest riding the shuttle buses on those two days. On Wed. as you leave you can check out the scenic vistas on your way to Desert View.

Are you going to try and do a float trip or boat trip on Lake Powell or spend the time in Zion?

Utahtea
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 09:09 PM

ttt
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 10:07 AM

If you plan to go near Sedona, I would recommend the Verde Canyon Railroad. It is supposed to have spectacular scenery. The kids should enjoy.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 01:31 PM

We enjoyed our six hour boat trip to and from Rainbow Bridge on Lake Powell but the low water on the lake hurt the experience somewhat. We were so low on the water, we couldn't see anything not right in front of us or next to us, and seeing 85' of bright white rock (where the water SHOULD be) gets old pretty quickly. I would love to return when the water gets back up to its normal levels.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 04:22 PM

I've seen Lake Powell's water level at high and some low years but I'm looking forward to seeing it this low. It will be a change.

Utahtea