Grand Canyon December

Search

Grand Canyon December

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon December

We are visiting the Grand Canyon mid December 2007. Do we need to book accommodation for this time of the year?
We are hoping to stay close to the Canyon to view sunset and sunrise.
Any recommendations of where to stay?
Thanks
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:38 PM
TheWeasel

Staying in the park at the South Rim is always the most convenient option, and by booking now you should have your choice of lodging. Take a look at the website for lodging: http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/

Once you've got an idea of what's available, you can search for some threads on here about lodging at the S. Rim - it's been discussed quite a bit. This thread might answer lots of your questions: http://tinyurl.com/2holuu

Old May 11th, 2007, 07:45 PM

Be aware that you will be at 7000 ft elevation. You definitely need to be prepared for snow.
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Many Thanks,
I have looked at accommodation available and there seems to be alot available at the moment. Would a cabin be too cold in December? I see some have fire places. I checked the thread mentioned.At the moment I am thinking a cabin could be good... we are only staying one night There is a cabin queen available with a view and a fireplace or a standard double terrace at El Tovar for about the same price.
What do you think?
Old May 16th, 2007, 07:47 PM

I'd definitely book a room or cabin, particularly if you want to be on the rim with the view. It will be cold and there could be snow - there's nothing quite like the Canyon in winter! The El Tovar was recently renovated and is the main historic lodge but the rooms are pretty much standard hotel fare. Hope this helps.
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:15 PM

Bright Angel Lodge & Cabins just reopened a little more than a week ago after renovations. The partial view cabins with or without fireplace are heated just like a guest room. The fireplace is for ambiance, not heat. El Tovar is the only full service accommodation at the south rim, so if you like turn-down service and room service. Terrace level rooms are on a lower floor on the south wing.

If you're lucky, you'll get to see the canyon in snow. It's the best time of year!