Grand Canyon Dayhiking in March

Mar 19th, 2002, 10:29 AM
stephie

Grand Canyon Dayhiking in March

Going to Grand Canyon next week...yea! We are staying @ a hotel just outside the gates for 2 nights. One of our days we want to dedicate to a DAY HIKE down into the canyon. Has anyone hiked the Bright Angel trail as far as Indian Gardens and back in a day?...or is that too ambitious? We are experienced, fit hikers...used to hiking @ high elevations. I've been doing research on the trails and it looks like the Kabib trail does spur off and eventually connects with the Bright Angel. Some online sources list this as a DAY HIKE...has anyone done this hike? Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mar 19th, 2002, 10:38 AM
xxx

I'm not sure about the location of Indian Gardens, but I do know that you cannot hike to the canyon floor and back up to the rim in one day. They tell you to estimate double the return time -- i.e., if it takes five hours to hike down it will take ten hours to hike back up. Try the National Park site or GORP (Great Outdoor Recreation Pages) site for more detailed hike information.

Mar 19th, 2002, 02:02 PM
stephie

Yes, I have already done quite a bit of internet research and know the do's and don'ts. I was hoping to get some feedback from others who have done Day hikes down Bright Angel and/or Kabib...

Mar 19th, 2002, 03:08 PM
Paul Rabe

In March, down to Indian Gardens and back in a day is a reasonable task for fit, well-prepared hikers. You may even wish to hike all the way to Panorama Point a couple miles past Indian Gardens, but be aware: this hike is along one of the driest and hottest parts of the Canyon, where there will be absolutely no shade. Do not hike in the middle of the afternoon.

No matter what time you get to Indian Gardens, wait till about 3:00 before hiking out. The hike up will be MUCH more comfortable when the canyon starts to provide a little more shade.

Mar 20th, 2002, 08:51 AM
stephie

Hey, thanks for the information. Is there a way to go down one trail (Kabib) and up another (Bright Angel) in one day? If yes, what is that hike like?

Mar 20th, 2002, 08:57 AM
rob

did the hike in December several years ago....think it took us about 3 1/2 hours. yes, the hike back up is a lot of work....and don't forget the donkey crap you will be stepping in every 2 seconds....

actually, i liked kaibab a little better....

Mar 21st, 2002, 09:08 PM
Rob

The rim trails are better than the hike into the canyon in my opinion.

Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:32 AM
Paul Rabe

About down the Kaibab and up the Bright Angel in one day:

***DON'T TRY***

If there is ANYTHING the NPS has had to repeat a million and one times, simply because people won't listen if you only tell them a million times, it's that no one with less than tri-athelete endurance can go down to the River and back up in one day.

If you've never done Canyon hiking in the desert, start with the Bright Angel. If you find it's easily within your range, come back again and do an overnight to Phantom Ranch. If you STILL find you can handle this, ONLY THEN should you attempt a down Kaibab, up BA in one day hike.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:05 PM
stephie

Great, Thanks for the info. I suspected as much but I actually saw this listed as a "Dayhike" on a website and began to wonder. I think we will do some short rim hikes the first day to acclimate and on the second day maybe a short way down and back on the Kaibab instead of B.A. Better views I understand and less donkey crap!

Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:19 PM
Anne

Stephie. . . Our family went to the Grand Canyon last March and did a wonderful day hike part of the way down S. Kaibab trail. Our kids were 9 and 12 at the time and absolutely loved it! There is a plateau that you can hike down to (can't remember the name), but it's about half-way to the bottom and the views are spectacular. It took us a few hours to do this hike with several stops to rest on the way back up. Be sure to take plenty of water and maybe some power bars or candy bars for sustenance on the way up. Our kids said that this hike was one of "the best days of their lives"! Have fun!!