Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon area-Phantom Ranch& Havasupai Lodge?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 05:10 PM
vince la marca

Has anyone stayed here?Are they clean,comfortable and have indoor plumbing?

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 05:22 PM
Paul Rabe

The single-sex dorms at Phantom Ranch have indoor plumbing, where you share a bathroom and shower with about ten others of your gender. I presume the other lodgings do so as well.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 01:52 PM
lisa

I had my own cabin at Phantom Ranch. It had a queen bed and was very basic but clean and air-cooled. It had a toilet and sink, but to shower you had to go to a separate building (which had very clean, private shower stalls) which is for Phantom Ranch guests only. The food at Phantom Ranch is not bad -- I had the steak dinner and breakfast the next morning and enjoyed the food more than I expected to (they have to bring everything in on mules, so I certainly did not expect real eggs at breakfast and was surprised they were available). Do not expect too much and I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's definitely a step up from camping, but lacks the amenities of most hotels. Considering where it is, it's pretty remarkable. If you do a search using the words "Grand Canyon" you can find my trip report from last summer. I have not stayed at Havasupai Lodge though.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 06:56 AM
x

there are dorms for hikers and cabins for the mule riders...also a campground for hikers...you do have to make reservations on all including eating..all are comfortable...the Supai Lodge is in a different part of GC...out of Seligman...it is the west Canyon and you have to get a permit 6 mos. in advance to hike, as you do on the South Rim...there is another lodge there too...it is all owned and run by the Havasupai Indians..there are 2 trails you are permited to hike...the others are forbidden by the H. Indians as sacred...

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 07:00 AM
x

yes ..they are clean ,comfortable and have indoor plumbing...have soap dispensers on the wall in showers that can be used for soap/shampoo...towels are provided, at least for mule riders..

Old Jan 4th, 2010, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any one stayed at Havasupai Lodge or hiked this area. we are considering 2nd trip to the Grand Canyon. did the South Rim, can't get in at Phantom Ranch, considering this as alternative. Any ideas?