Grand Canyon Advise

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 07:41 AM
Emarald

Grand Canyon Advise

Will be in the Grand Canyon at the end of August for two days. Would like to experience as much as possible (sunrise, sunsets, etc.) I know there is a mule trip to the bottom of the canyon, but I understand it is 6 hours long. My husband and teens would never make it! Can anyone suggest whether a helicopter or airplane tour captures the essence of the Canyon? I know these options can’t be as spellbinding as actually travelling down by mule, but what is the second best way to experience the Canyon (South Rim).

All help/info is greatly appreciated.

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 10:32 AM
Joyce

I'm interested in any responses to this too since I'm going in Sept. for the first time. Emarald, two websites I've found that have a lot of info, incl. seeing the canyon by air are www.thecanyon.com and www.grand-canyon.az.us

That might help you too.

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 12:54 PM
daniel lee

if you guys don't want to go down to the bottom because you are out of shape, that is actually a damn good excuse. i can't tell you how many people i saw going down that were dying coming up because they were too old, too fat, too young, or had no water or food. i also don't like it when people ride the mules down because a) why should the mules carry your lazy-ass down 4000 feet? b) it is cruel to put the mules through such torture...do it with your own 2 feet. (i'm not talking to YOU specifically, emarald.)

i thought i did see helicopter ride signs as we drove in, but you may have to worry about reservations. crowds get crazy in the summer out there.

daniel

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 03:56 PM
Bob Brown

I think there are many ways to enjoy the canyon without going way down in it.
My favorite viewing hike is along the West Rim Drive. The last time I was there, the road was closed to private vehicles. So we road the tramway shuttle, which stops at all major overlooks. We walked between some of the overlooks and found unobstructed views of the canyon. Take binoculars, if you have some, for detailed viewing.
The mule trips are booked well in advance, so if you don't have one now, you might be able to get one for 2001.
If you are tempted to walk down one of the trails, such as the Bright Angel or the South Kaibab, remember that all trails into and out of the canyon are steep. If you go down 1 hour, you will need to be in tip top shape to make it back out in 2 hours. It takes a well conditioned person about 3 times as long to come back as it does to descend.
An ill-conditioned person can figure on a ratio of 5 or 6 to 1. And don't under estimate dehydration in that climate, particularly if exerting.
But if you are like most people, take a few looks over the rim, conclude that it is a big hole in the ground, and then head for the bar.
I personally feel that airplane flights are no better than a picture. I have seen the canyon from the air, and frankly, it does not do the place justice. The only way to really experience it is to descend, but be warned.

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 04:20 PM
Al

If you are in Olympic condition, walk down...and then walk up. Otherwise, follow Bob Brown's advice: don't. One factor most people do not condider is the altitude. The South Rim is at 7,000 ft. True, it is a drop of more than 5,000 ft. to the Colorado River. But it is also a temperature difference of about 30 degrees. In August, the canyon can be a furnace. Why not make sure you see the IMAX theater presentation (there is a marvelous theater in Tusayan, just outside the park south entrance) of the native people, the Spanish discovery, the exploration by Major Powell, and a journey through the canyon by boat and helicopter. Oh, and another thing. All those mules leave lakes of urine every half mile or so along the trail. You must wade through them. Also, this week we had heavy rains in AZ and the Bright Angel Trail currently is closed because of landslides. Check the canyon web site for news of its reopening.

Old Jul 18th, 1999, 05:50 AM
TC

The helicopter rides are spellbinding. I thought it was a magnificant way to see the canyon. We stayed overnight in a small cabin on the Canyon rim. These cabins were built during WPA and are maintained and operated by Bright Angel Lodge. They are quaint (in a very old fashioned kind of way), but the sunset and sun rise were spectacular. And while you're in the area, try to take a side trip to Monument Valley. Absolutely gorgeous!

Old Jul 18th, 1999, 04:59 PM
Marilyn

I visited the Grand canyon in May.Words don't do justice to it's magnificence.I was with a tour and we had the option of a helicopter ride or the Imax theatre.Being leery of the helicopter ride I went to the Imax and as a former poster said it was wonderful.It gave a good history of the canyon and even the sensation of flying over it and down in it.The brave folks who took the helicopter ride enjoyed it immensely.

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 03:57 PM
Marcia

I just returned from the southwest and spent two nights in the Grand Canyon. I would recommend staying in a hotel within in the park (if you're not camping). The big advantage of doing this is setting your alarm for 5:15 am, walking out your door to the canyon rim, and watching the sunrise, all without any crowds. Their were a few other tourists, but I experienced the solitude and peacefulness as if I were the only person there (too bad it didn't last too long!) As the morning progressed, of course the crowds starting appearing. Sunsets were also nice, but there were more photographers present then. Also, the free west rim shuttle worked out fine for us. You can get on and off at the stops, and walk between stops depending on how far you want to hike. There were a lot of helicopters at the time. I believe the rates were around $90 a person. The mules and hikers were not going into the canyon at the time because the rains washed out the trails. I'm sure there were lots of disappointed travelers who couldn't hike into the canyon, but the rim walks were wonderful.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 06:59 AM
Emarald

Thanks to all who responded, I believe we'll book the helicopter ride. Does anyone know which carrier is the best, or which tour (30 min, 60 min, ect.) does the canyon the most justice?

Again, thanks to all for you help!