Graceland: VIP vs Platinum ticket

May 25th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Original Poster

Graceland: VIP vs Platinum ticket

We're going to Graceland on either June 3 (Thursday) or June 4 (Friday). Is it worth getting the VIP ticket instead of the Platinum? The VIP ticket has these features that the Platinum ticket doesn't have:

# a special VIP Only exhibit at Graceland Mansion
# Front of the Line Mansion Access
# Special All Day Ticket
# Keepsake Backstage Pass

Will lines be long in the morning? I imagine we will eat lunch on site, so the All Day aspect shouldn't matter to us.
May 26th, 2010, 03:45 AM

You didn't say what the price difference is, so it's hard to say if something is worth it, but it's probably not. I generally find that those "special" or "VIP" tickets are not worth the extra $$.
I don't even recall a VIP ticket at Graceland so I must have had the Platinum, which was very comprehensive. Not sure what "all day ticket" is, unless it means you can leave and then return, which doesn't make much sense.

The lines move very quickly. You board the buses across the street and they drive you over to the mansion. You can really linger as long as you like in the mansion tour, and on the grounds, etc. When I finished and was going to board the bus to exit, another bus pulled up to the house. I just got on the line and went back into the house and did the tour all over again and no one stopped me.
My ticket also included the cars and the planes, which were nice to see, especially the planes. I didn't feel as tho' I'd missed anything.
May 26th, 2010, 07:13 AM

We bought the Platinum ticket, which was plenty.

The main advantage of the VIP ticket is to get to the head of the line if there is a long wait. There wasn't a long wait the day we went to Graceland.

You can call the 800 number the day you plan to go to Graceland and ask how long the wait is to get into the mansion. They will tell you.
May 26th, 2010, 07:33 AM

The only other exhibits that are in the least interesting are the car museum and the planes.

Elvis definitely had tacky taste and Graceland demonstrates penultimate tackiness.
May 26th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Sorry I forgot to mention the prices. VIP = $69, Platinum = $34.

One last thing - do the tickets sell out? Should we buy the tickets in advance, or can we just buy the ticket the morning we show up?
May 26th, 2010, 08:22 AM

We bought our tickets when we arrived at Graceland.

Graceland is a big attraction in Memphis, but it isn't new--it's been greeting crowds for decades and they are very efficient at doing so.

We went after lunch, and I'm glad we did. Dining options at Graceland are over-priced and nothing special.
May 26th, 2010, 10:30 AM

We just bought our ticket that day...they have lots of tours daily so it probably won't sell out. And if you are a AAA member, you get a discount.
May 26th, 2010, 12:28 PM

At those prices, definitely do the Platinum!
May 26th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Oh, does a person walk you around? From the description it sounded like they just hand you one of those audioguide devices. I'd rather be able to take everything in at my own pace.
May 26th, 2010, 02:23 PM

I only did the Platinum, not the VIP, but based on what you've said is included in the VIP package, I cannot imagine that it is worth an extra $35.

I don't remember any long lines at all, we just got on a bus and went to the house. And they gave us an audioguide, so we could go at our own pace. I agree that the car collection and the "Lisa Marie" plane are the most interesting exhibits outside the house.