Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Gourmet Groceries in Hudson River Valley/Berkshires

Old Oct 29th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend some good, reliable grocery/bakery/cheese/butcher shops in this vacinity? I imagine that with the CIA in Hyde Park there's got to be some really high-grade food shops around. We'll be in Canaan, NY for a week. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 05:14 PM

OMG, I dream about the store on Rt 7 in Great Barrington ( I think) called Guidos. Everything you could ever want is in this store. Wonderful cheeses, fresh everything, bread just baked..waaa~
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 05:38 PM
OO

Guido's it is, no doubt about it. Either Scarlett's location in Great Barrington, or the north side of Rte 7 at the Pittsfield/Lenox line. Fabulous. I hate grocery shopping, but I love that store, as does my DH.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 05:42 PM

OO, the Yankee is talking about leaving Florida in the summer months, we have thought of going back up to the Berkshires
I can mail you Guido groceries
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 05:13 AM
OO

Yum Scarlett...I have a better idea....you get a place up there for the summer then count on a couple of friendly compatriot FL house guests who will buy YOU your Guido's groceries!

The Lenox Guido's was my mother's grocery store as we lived only a couple miles from it...it wasn't there when I was growing up but it only took one trip while I was back home to make me a lifelong convert!

Darn I kick myself for selling that house!! It would have been our perfect retreat from these summers. What was I thinking.....?
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 06:13 AM

I read the title to this thread and though, oh Guido's would fit this bill... then I click and see all the 'locals' on this board - such a small world!

I no longer live in the Berkshires, but my family does and when I visit and my queen-shopper stepmother heads for Guido's I know I'm in for an excellent dinner!

One more that hasn't been mentioned is Nejaimes in Lenox. There are a few of them in the area, but the one in the center of Lenox does gourmet foods, particularly in the summer during Tanglewood. (It is primarily a local liquor store chain, best wine selection in the Berkshires)

-Kristy
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 09:56 AM

I've been trying to remember the name of the farm that was making it's own cheese. In doing a search (still haven't found it) I came across an article on Bazilions in Great Barrington. Only a year old.

http://www.iberkshires.com/story.php?story_id=12998
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Found Guido's website with loads of info. And I uncovered an article about Bizalion's in the Times.

Thanks to all for your input...I will now officially win the who-has-better-inside-info competition with my brother.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 05:04 AM

mclaurie, could that be the Coach Farm?
We went to a country fair at one of the farms up there and I can't remember the name of that one either
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 05:35 AM

I think that's it Scarlett. They've evidently become so successful they only sell to restaurants and markets etc. I thought I had remembered going there years ago and buying directly from them.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 05:44 AM

Yes, they are huge now.
We looked at a house to rent for a summer a couple of years ago and there was a small goat farm across the street. We decided that Pup and I could not manage to live that close to all the sweet little smelly goats LOL

All this talk about the Berkshires is making me SO homesick
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 07:35 AM

We have been to Guido's several times to put together a picnic dinner before heading to Tanglewood. This year we got tickets ($95 each) for the Wine and Food Festival to be held on the grounds before the Yo Yo Ma concert (which was fabulous). The Food and Wine Festival was a huge disappointment, so we ran to Guido's and had a great dinner on the lawn. Sorry to make you homesick, OO and Scarlett!
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 07:50 AM

That's OK, Buzzy, I am a glutton for punishement...make me homesick
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 07:50 AM

That's OK, Buzzy, I am a glutton for punishment...make me homesick