Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   GoTravel-I have some questions about CHARLESTON, SC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/gotravel-i-have-some-questions-about-charleston-sc-407069/)

Skiergirl Aug 3rd, 2008 07:11 PM

GoTravel-I have some questions about CHARLESTON, SC

I read GoTravel's trip report from 2005 with great interest. My friend and I are thinking about going in December 2008 right after Christmas. So this is what we are wondering:
1. Is that a good time to go? As in, are the stores open and tours running? Will it be overrun with tourists?

2. What is the weather like (typically)? We are from NYC so colder weather is no problem for us.

3. Is it me, or is $700 for a flight totally crazy??? I know prices have gone up but this seems really bad.

Thanks in advance!
Skiergirl

GoTravel Aug 4th, 2008 12:18 AM

Hi Skiergirl!

Yes, Charleston will be crowded but it is great time to go.

Temps will be balmy. Mid sixties and up daytime high.

Flights are getting expensive but that is a little much. Keep watching.

emcash Aug 4th, 2008 03:37 AM

Skiergirl, flights for a trip we wanted to take right after Christmas to fort lauderdale, on COACH, are $1200, so the 700 doesn't seem that out of the question these days.

Gretchen Aug 4th, 2008 04:22 AM

I wouldn't lump flight cost to FtL the same as Charleston. That is HIGH HIGH season in FL. But I agree that $700 to Charleston is a bit much--where are you coming from? I assume the West. I have Denver-Charleston on a fare watcher because our kids sometimes get a cheaper fare to Charleston for beach trips.
Just keep watching.

emcash Aug 4th, 2008 04:53 AM

My point is only that airfares are very high that time of year. The fare to FLL this year is more than double what they were last year.

WannabeinaMontserrat Aug 4th, 2008 06:12 AM

Not sure how much time you have but you may want to check some alternate airports as well. Flying from NYC you have some options as well. Again, you'll have to connect to get to Charleston so it may be just as quick to fly into CLT or Columbia.

Skiergirl Aug 4th, 2008 11:14 AM

I am flying from NYC. The $700 flight is for non-stop. I really don't want to connect and end up stranded in Atlanta. No offense as I have friends there, my goal would be Charleston! Mid 60s sounds like dream weather to me. I am thinking my version of crowded (Xmas in NYC is a mess) is less than Charleston's so I don't mind it if other tourists are there as well! Thanks for the advice, keep it coming.
PS-Even if we do connect and the flight is around $430, with hotels, taxes, etc. the price is only about $100 cheaper than packages I found on Expedia, Orbitz. I found a decent one for the Renaissance Hotel which looks nice enough. Am I right?

GoTravel Aug 4th, 2008 11:21 AM

You couldn't pay me to fly into Columbia or Charlotte and then drive to Charleston.

Yes, the Renaissance is very nice in an excellent location on Wentworth Street.

Fabulous shopping one block from you and great dining all around.

I would take a cab from the airport to downtown because having a car in downtown Charleston is like having one in Manhattan; it is expensive, you will pay to park, and a big PIA.

As far as the cost of airfare, I think it is just an expensive time to fly. The airlines make the majority of their profits from Thanksgiving to New Years.

How long will you stay and what is on the agenda?

Have you been to Charleston before?

WannabeinaMontserrat Aug 4th, 2008 11:39 AM

Sounds like you're paying for the non-stop flight of which I am sure there are few.

dmlove Aug 4th, 2008 12:12 PM

We stayed at the Renaissance. Very nice, great location. We drove in and parked, and never used the car while we were there.

Skiergirl Aug 4th, 2008 01:59 PM

On my agenda is very much like GoTravel's report: eating, drinking, and SHOPPING. We wouldn't mind doing a historical tour and maybe a plantation tour. Of course I can do most of that stuffhere in NYC (not the plantations), but my friend and I are itching to see somewhere new. I went to school in Nashville and need some good southern hospitality. Sounds like the Renaissance would be a good fit for my needs. I really am not into one-stop flights, and would be willing to pay more money for the non-stop. I just thought the price seemed so high but as I said before, with a package it isn't so bad. We definitely will not rent a car.

BeachGirl247 Aug 4th, 2008 02:53 PM

Tagging along on this one as it's on our to-do list.

GoT, what is the best time of year to visit Charleston? (We want to avoid the heat.)

GoTravel Aug 5th, 2008 09:34 AM

Beachgirl, November through March otherwise you can get hit with the crippling heat and humidity.

Definitely avoid May through October.

steph3495 Aug 5th, 2008 10:02 AM

I live in Charleston also. Don't come in the summer. It is HOT here. Heat advisory hot. Other than that, I don't think there is an "off" time to come here.

In terms of plane tickets- I just looked for a flight from CHS to NYC for September and found nonstop for $250 so I would think you can find something cheapter than 700.

I've only been here a year or so, but I have not found that any businesses/ shops close during the year.

I had family in town last Christmas and we were wearing sweaters and coats walking downtown. We are from Florida though, so its relative.