Gospel mass in NYC

Jul 30th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Gospel mass in NYC

During my visit to NYC I would like to visit a gospel mass to feel the power of the words of God in an other different way (I am a Catholic from Slovenia). I am not interested in one of these tours, where gospel mass is part of it. Somewhere the All Saints Catholic Church, located on 47 East 129th @ Madison Avet, NY is described as having outstanding gospel music.
Would you suggest any other places I should consider. I would like to attend a Sunday mass. And is it ok to go to Harlem for a gospel mass for a white woman (in her 40s) or is this in any way disrespectful?

Thank you for your answers.
Jul 30th, 2010, 10:29 AM

I've seen tourist guidebook suggestions for two Harlem based churches that do gospel style services, the Abyssinian Baptist Church on West 138th Street and Mother AME Zion Church on West 137th Street. Would recommend calling them to see if what they offer for services is what you're looking for.
Jul 30th, 2010, 11:56 AM

The Abyssinian is always filled with tourist buses. Go to the Brooklyn Tabernacle on your own. http://www.brooklyntabernacle.org/

Or Canaan Baptist, Salem United Methodist and Metropolitan Baptist are other Harlem churches.
Jul 30th, 2010, 01:41 PM

You want to attend a Roman Catholic gospel mass? Most gospel services such as those listed by other posters are in Protestant churches. Why don't you try to get in touch with All Saints , perhaps they have a website.
Jul 30th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Riverside Baptist is also another option.
Jul 30th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your suggestions. Well, yes, I would want to attend a Roman Catholic gospel mass but feel a bit embarrassed to write to them, if they have gospel music during mass, because it sounds so tourist like which I would like to avoid. However I had a look at the Brooklyn Tabernacle and wrote them a letter asking them, if I am welcome. We'll see what they will answer. Thanks again.

I must say that this forum has helped me a lot so far and is something completely different from the German and Slovene forums I have been reading in the past month to prepare for my visit in the US.
Jul 30th, 2010, 02:51 PM

Look, find the time of services at the Catholic church -- Dress for church and plan to attend the entire service. You will be welcome. People in Harlem dress for Sunday services.

It's embarrassing when tourists in jeans, t shirts and flip flops on my bus think they are going to church. I am less than helpful.

You are doing your homework and you will be welcome wherever you go.
Jul 30th, 2010, 02:56 PM

Incidentally, Middle Collegiate Church in the East Village is a little more laid back but still dress respectfully. They have a great gospel choir and Reverend Jacqui is awesome.

I go there once a year for a combined 2nd seder Maundi Thursday service with a synagogue I attend.
Jul 30th, 2010, 02:58 PM

Sorry http://www.middlechurch.org/
Jul 30th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

SueNYC, you're right. That's what I am going to do. Thanks again for your kind responses.
Aug 2nd, 2010, 09:17 AM

Labilana,

I am a member at Middle Collegiate Church and can attest that you will be welcomed however you dress and no matter your faith. We have regular visitors from around the world and across many faith traditions because of our inclusive welcome.

Keep in mind that the Middle Church Gospel Choir does not sing every Sunday. They will not sing at all in August, and usually sing on alternate weeks during the rest of the year. Check the website for actual dates.

Most visitors find our Sunday worship celebrations interesting, because they are indeed joyous celebrations rather than gloomy, staid "services". The regular Middle Church Choir sings diverse music and worship often includes other arts beyond music. You may enjoy a visit even if the Gospel Choir is not singing.
Aug 2nd, 2010, 10:08 AM

If you're specifically looking for a Roman Catholic Mass, you may want to try www.masstimes.org. It allows you to search by language, diocese, and rite and has an option for a live operator. I've never used it, but perhaps someone there could help you find a church to suit your needs.
Aug 2nd, 2010, 10:16 AM

Can't help if you are looking for a Catholic Church but there are some gospel choirs at some of the Catholic Churches here on the Upper West Side and also in Harlem.

I CAN recommend Convent BAptist Church on 145th and Convent as one of the best churches in the city with outstanding music. They get some of the best singers in the city in #1 train to 145th and walk 2 blocks east to Convent Ave or take the A/B/C/D trains to 145th st and walk 1 block west.

Hope this helps.
Aug 2nd, 2010, 11:04 AM

I've attended Middle Collegiate and it's a great worship experience and the choir is wonderful. Enjoy your Sunday, and if you ever get to San Francisco consider attending the services at Glide.
Aug 2nd, 2010, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your additional advice. As I wrote in one of my earlier posts I will attend a Slovene mass on Saturday evening and would like to be present at a mass that is different from what I know from my home country and places I have been around in Europe. Maybe I was wrong searching for a Roman Catholic church but then again I don't know how welcome I am, if I attend mass in a different environment. Therefore all these questions. I'm glad I asked.

Thank you again for your kind responses. Hope you have nice weather this weekend .
Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:15 PM

we are devout Catholics and went to the 10:15 mass at St Patricks Cathedral a few weeks ago.Its a high Mass where the mass is sung in verses, and it was an incredibly moving experience.The Cathedral was full, with lots standing in the back, and the communion service was very uplifting.Folks from many different countries attending.Get there early,and sit up front--we got there at 10:00 and were fine. After Mass, get lunch over at Morrells Cafe right across from Rockefeller Center on 49th st.They open at noon,and make resevations--we were in NYC 5 days and it was the best meal we had.Peace
Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:25 PM

I am also Catholic and when I go on vacation, I often call the local parish I am considering attending to confirm the times (sometimes websites are wrong) and also I may ask as to what type of liturgy is offered at each Mass. This is entirely normal to do. Most parishes are pleased to welcome guests!

The other posters are right that the Catholic tradition does not have a strong gospel music component as other denominations. However, in many cities there may be one parish with a gospel choir. You are more apt to hear about it by word of mouth.

I would urge you to call either the archdiocese's chancery office or the local Catholic newspaper to find out if such a parish is known to exist. In New York, this appears to be the Catholic newspaper: http://www.cny.org/ and their phone is 212-688-2399.