Good stop < 2 hours south of DFW?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into Dallas, renting a car, and heading towards San Antonio. I want to stop about an hour or two south of Dallas and spend the night. There will be my husband, my 3 sons, 13,10,10, and me. A chain hotel like Hawthorne Suites or the like is fine. We would also like historic site, or something interesting to see or do. This is just a stop-over, but something that is a half-day or less would be good.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 02:59 AM
J62

Waco would meet your criteria. There are plenty of chain hotels right off I35. Another choice would be Hillsboro - smaller town with fewer hotel options.

Look on maps.google.com for "hotels near waco, tx"

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 06:02 AM

Perosnally, I say go a little further to Salado. VERY cute town that used to be a stagecoach stop halfway between Dallas and San Antonio. The Stagecoach Inn's restaurant is very historic; Sam Houston gave a speech there! There are a couple of hotels and lots of B&Bs.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 06:29 AM

Howdy scarboroughmom,

Welcome to Texas! Glad to have ya! <)

Did you know that Dr. Pepper is our national soda? If you decide on Waco, your kids might enjoy visiting the Dr. Pepper Museum. This is where it all began, and their soda fountain even mixes it up right there from all the different flavors. Pretty neat.

In Waco, there is a Residence Inn that might fit your criteria:

http://tinyurl.com/37dywq

Remember, though, that Baylor University is in Waco, and rooms may book up well in advance, especially during football season.

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 09:08 AM

I agree with CP: Salado is a super stop - good food and "no" chains.
Waco used to have the cheapest gasoline in Texas - perhaps its only redeeming feature.
Hope you are aware of all the negative health issues re: artificially carbonated soft drinks.
Drive speed limit through Belton - a historic speed trap.
Hillsboro is pretty rural and only about 80 min from my previous home in far north Dallas.
Plenty to see and do in Ft. Worth and Austin as well.
M
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 09:18 AM

We've gotten speeding tickets in Waco and Georgetown - watch your speed.

The Dr Pepper Museum (in Waco) is so-so interesting. It's worth a stop once in your life, but something you never have to repeat.

Our fave stop is Inner Space Cavern in Georgetown - it takes a couple of hours. If you have never been in a cave before it's very interesting (it's a live wet cave; still growing) - it's right off the highway; easy access on and off.
But if Natural Bridge Cavern near San Antonio is on your list, you might as well skip this.

We stopped in Salado once. It's a cute town. Somehow we ended up at a park where a river runs through. Kids were swinging on a rope swing and falling into the river - they had a great time. Sorry, can't tell you how to get there, though.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 04:12 AM

Would add my vote for Stagecoach Inn in Salado. Historic, very near freeway, very good restaurant, shops, etc.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 05:47 AM

You all might enjoy the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame that is also in Waco. Because Waco is a college town you will have lots of choices for casual hotels and resturnats. There is a river that runs through town too.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 06:04 AM

Salado.