Notices

good seafood in LA

Old Mar 27th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good seafood in LA

I'm looking for a moderately priced, good seafood place on the water along PCH. Any thoughts?
thanks!
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 11:50 AM

The cliché answer, but the one that will probably satisfy you, is Gladstone's, which is on PCH just north of Santa Monica, essentially right at the corner of Sunset and PCH, heading toward Malibu. The seafood is fine (there are places I prefer to Gladstone's, but they're not on PCH), the atmosphere is pretty fun, and sitting outside watching the sunset is always a great way to spend a Happy Hour.

Most places above Denny's in quality will serve competent seafood here in southern California. In Santa Monica, Ocean Avenue Seafood is wonderful, but quite pricey.

You might also check out zagat.com for their recommendations. Bon appétit!
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 12:03 PM

Forgot to mention: Gladstone's is extremely popular both with tourists and locals (though not necessarily people from the closest neighborhoods). Dinner reservations are essential (310 GL4-FISH-- ain't that cute?!). And no, I DON'T work for them.

I do admit it's been a few years since I've eaten there, but friends who live up there say it's still really good, so what the hey....
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 12:21 PM

It's been awhile since I've been there but there used to be a place named Duke's right on the PCH in Malibu. Others that come to mind are Tony's Taverna, which is Greek with an emphasis on seafood, and the Chart House. Just for the fun of it you may want to take a quick peek at a place named Neptune's also on the PCH in Malibu. It goes beyond casual, (think beach bum casual) but you can't beat the view and the seafood is probably still very good. It used to be very popular. Maybe someone else on this board can comment on the now.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 12:59 PM

I love the king crab legs, coconut shrimp and hot lava cake at the Chart House. I also had good seafood at the Reel Inn in Malibu. It's on PCH, but I'm not sure if it actually has an ocean view because I was there for a wedding reception and I wasn't really paying attention. I'm sure if there is an ocean view it is small or I would've noticed it. It is a place that locals frequent.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 01:07 PM

Cafe del Rey has an eclectic menu filled with seafood. It's in Marina del Rey, right on the marina, so you see boats instead of sand and waves. Still, the food and service are excellent and the prices are good, IMHO, for what you get.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 02:51 PM

About Gladstone's...the location is great, food tasted good, but my husband and I both got food poisoning after eating lunch there.
Old Mar 27th, 2003, 03:07 PM

Sorry to hear about the food poisoning, orangetravelcat! Maybe just have drinks on the outside patio at Gladstone's, nyla. Reel Inn or Chart House are sounding like safer bets-- Reel Inn is probably cheaper, with less atmosphere, but it is a SoCal original (and tasty!). Never been to Duke's, but I hear good things. Doesn't it have more of a "surfer shack" ambience...?