Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Good restaurants near First Union Center and the Renaissance Airport Hotel in Philadelphia

Good restaurants near First Union Center and the Renaissance Airport Hotel in Philadelphia

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 08:57 AM
Margaret Davidson

Does anyone know of any good restaurants (but not particularly expensive) near the First Union Center and the Renaissance Airport Hotel in Philadelphia? Thanks in advance for your responses?

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 10:36 AM
elaine

Margaret,

I live near Phila. There are no restaurants within walking distance to First Union Center. Please post if you'll have car...there are some reasonably priced, good restaurants in South Philadelphia. Between First Union and Airport...really nothing worth mentioning.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 10:41 AM
igor

There are only industrial warehouses
between First Union Center and the Airport. But you can go North on Broad
Street from the First Union center
and in about 1 mile, you will start seeing all kinds of good restaurants.
Some of them are really plain and inexpensive. There are also a lot of
cheesetake places on Broad Street (you
definetely have to try one).

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 12:07 PM
Margaret Davidson

Dear respondees who are wondering if I will have a car in Philadelphia. The answer is that I will not! Hope this additional info. helps. Thanks.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 06:24 PM
Pat

If you're adventurous you could take the subway from the Pattison station up Broad St. There are a lot of restaurants easily within walking distance of Broad St. I don't know what your time limitations are. I have found the Philly subways (at least downtown) to be very clean and safe.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 05:30 AM
elaine

Margaret,

Should you opt to take subway, please do so w/friends/acquaintances if in the evening.
Scroll back (June '00)to post 'Dining In Philadelphia'. There are names of restaurants listed.
If all else fails, the airport Marriott has nice dining room and you could take the airport shuttle back to Renaissance.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 02:38 PM
Joanne

Hi Margaret,
1) Check with the hotel about shuttle service to Center City - some hotels provide free or inexpensive rides in to the City.
2) Taxis from the airport charge a flat $20.00 rate to Center City and visa versa. This may not appeal to because of the price.
3) Restaurant Bistro Romano near South Street in the city used to offer free shuttle service to their restaurant. It is a good, moderate priced Italian restaurant. Your hotel could call and arrange this, or they may know of other services available. Hope this information helps.
Joanne