Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Good Restaurants in the...uhmmm...San Fernando Valley?

Old Sep 15th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Recently moved to the Burbank/Studio City area. Any suggestions for some good restaurants in the area?

All price ranges, types of food (ethnic/brunch, etc...) suggestions welcome!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 02:36 PM

I enjoy lunching at Café Bizou on Ventura in Sherman Oaks.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 06:29 PM

Alisa, Welcome to town! You brought up my favorite subject (food) in my neck of the woods! Let's see --

Sushi Nozawa - Awesome sushi. Ventura Bl. in Studio City.

Brent's Deli - BEST deli in the valley and worth the drive to Parthenia St. in Northridge. Plan on waiting any time of day.

Brandywine - Small, intimate and romantic excellent Continental. Ventura Bl in Woodland Hills. Expensive.

Cha Cha Cha - fun and colorful Carribean on Ventura Bl. in Encino.

Dr. Hogly Wogly's Tyler Texas BBQ !!! Sepulveda at Roscoe in Van Nuys. Amazing food. Do it as take out.

Les Sisters - Best fried chicken anywhere. Devonshire St. in Chatsworth.

Mistral - delicious and authentic steak frite. Ventura Bl. in Sherman Oaks.

Picanha Churrascaria - Brazilian bbq on Palm Ave. in Burbank.

Minibar - International tapas. Happening atmosphere. Cahuenga Bl in Universal City.

If you try any, I'd love to know your thoughts. Bon apetit!
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 10:57 PM

Chez Nous Toluca Lake

Killer Shrimp

Crocodile Cafe

Mi Piace

La Bamba (cuban takeout)

Tony's Bella Vista
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 12:44 AM

Welcome to the neighborhood!!!

You've gotten some great recs so far of my favorites (Cafe Bizou, Brent's Deli) but I'll offer several more:

Argentinean: Lala's on Ventura in Studio City

Breakfast: Jumpin Java Cafe near Ventura and Colfax in Studio City

Chinese: Bamboo Cuisine (next to Cafe Bizou) on Ventura in Sherman Oaks - the sweet and pungent shrimp is killer

Deli: although Brent's is definitely the best, Art's on Ventura in Studio City isn't too bad and is much closer

French: Le Petit Bistro on Ventura in Sherman Oaks

Italian: Ca Del Sole (Venetian) on Cahuenga just off Lankershim in Toluca Lake; Far Niente on Brand in Glendale; Il Tiramisu on Ventura in Sherman Oaks

Japanese (Sushi): there's so many good ones along Ventura in Studio City, it's hard to go wrong -- Katsu-ya seems to be everyone's favorite but I thought it was just OK; Matsuda is my favorite but you have to get the head chef who usually works in the middle; Tama was worthwhile; Nozawa is infamous for the Nazi sushi chef; Sushi 101 on Moorpark isn't as hectic as the above ones and their beef-on-rock (off menu) is something you have to try

Mexican: Casa Vega (oldie but goodie) on Ventura in Sherman Oaks; Mexicali Cantina on Ventura in Studio City and Senor Fred on Ventura in Sherman Oaks are modern, happening joints

Middle-Eastern: Zankou Chicken (Armenian) on Colorado in Glendale and also on Sepulveda in Van Nuys is a tasty, inexpensive treat

Pizza: I can never seem to pass up on Chi-Chi's on Tampa in Northridge or it's sister restaurant Lido on Victory near Sepulveda in Van Nuys. It ain't NY or Chicago style, but it's damn good pizza with plenty of cheese

Ribs: forget the chains of Tony Romas and Claim Jumpers...head over to Ribs USA on Olive in Burbank for the sweetest-tasting ribs in So Cal

Steak or Seafood: sorry, can't think of any...you'd have to head to downtown LA, Beverly Hills or westside for decent fare

And if you want to be part of the scene without venturing over the hill, there's always Firefly on Ventura and Colfax in Studio City

Old Sep 16th, 2004, 01:10 AM

I didn't know there was a Lala's over the hill--just know the one on Melrose. I guess that makes it a chain restaurant and thus qualifies for the other thread! Yes, by all means, try Lala's! Don't forget the sangria!
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 05:19 AM
emd

Do you like good jazz? La Vie Lee (not completely sure of that spelling on the last word) is a great small jazz club that serves pretty good Mediteranian food (you can definitely go there and eat dinner or get munchies during the show.) I once sat a table away from Grover Washington III there, he was sitting w/Hiram Bullock. They both got up to jam w/the group on stage. I've seen other notable musicians in the audience, which tells you something. The place is small and all tables are in close range to the stage. Cover is not bad, like $10 for a good headline musician. I like this place so much that I often rent a car when in LA or Santa Monica and drive all the way to the valley to go there. IMO it is the best jazz club in the greater LA area.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 11:53 AM

Ah, La Ve Lee in Studio City. DH has a long history with this place, playing there with everyone from Tito Puente to Joe Houston. Yes, you never know who might show up on any given night.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

You all are AWESOME! Thank goodness it's almost Friday. My BF and I are going out! We have been to Ca Del Sole and live right near Chez Nous.

Maybe we will try the Jazz place this weekend. Since I previously lived on the Westside I know the area fairly well but have eaten in very few restaurants on this side of town.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 08:15 PM

You can't forget Jerry's Famous Deli. There is one Studio city and Encino.
12655 VENTURA BOULEVARD
STUDIO CITY------&
16650 VENTURA BLVD.
ENCINO, CA 91436

Food is plentiful and their menu is enormous. You can't go wrong because they have so many foods to choose from.