Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Good Restaurants in SF @ Fisherman's Wharf Area? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/good-restaurants-in-sf-fishermans-wharf-area-454840/)

Deblynn Jun 30th, 2004 09:54 AM

Good Restaurants in SF @ Fisherman's Wharf Area?

We will be staying at the Raddison @ Fisherman's Wharf and need some suggestions of good places to eat near or at the Wharf area. Also, has anybody stayed @ the Raddison on Fisherman's Wharf, and was the experience a good one? Any advice would be great! Thanks!

SAB Jun 30th, 2004 10:06 AM

Cafe Pescatore is the place I usually recommend for my visitors who stay at the Wharf. Nothing but good reviews so far--but I've never eaten there--when it comes time for the "thank you" dinner I try to pick a place that is more typical for SF locals. But as I say nothing but good feedback from those who have eaten there.

Jayne1973 Jun 30th, 2004 10:36 AM

We had a really enjoyable meal at Aliotos #9 Restaurant on the Wharf. It's very "old school" with lots of local history. We also picked up some crab legs on the street, which were messy fun. And of course we had to have In and Out burgers... there's one just down the street from the Raddison.
We also happened to be staying at the Raddison, which was fine. Our room had a great view. It's not a luxurious hotel but the location was good and it fit our needs for a room with two full size beds, which can be somewhat hard to find in SF. Check with the staff if you are going to be out late... seems like the parking garage was locked after midnight, but I could be mistaken.

Suzie Jun 30th, 2004 10:36 AM

I've eaten at Cafe Pescatore and thought it was outstanding. We had an appitizer of proscuitto wrapped mozzarella with carmelized oniion and other yummy stuff. It was terrific. I had sea bass which was outstanding. Sisters had other dishes that I can't remember except to say they enjoyed every bite.

mikemo Jun 30th, 2004 10:41 AM

A couple of blocks West, the touristy
McCormick/Kuleto is awfully good.
Yank Sing for Dim Sum is world Class, but a bit of a hike.
M

emummert Jun 30th, 2004 01:44 PM

I would take one of the vintage trolleys for a 10-minute trip to the Ferry Building. It is a collection of local restaurants/food purveyors that offers an extraordinary selection of GREAT food and great views.

cloudsurfer Jun 30th, 2004 01:51 PM

Forbes Island is a bit pricey (entrees $24-32) but it is a unique experience and the food is terrific! www.forbesisland.com

Flyboy Jun 30th, 2004 02:32 PM

There are a couple of really nice, highly-rated places in the general area. Gaylord in Ghiradelli Square specializes in Indian cuisine and it is very good, including the ambiance and service:

http://www.gaylords.com/welcome.htm

A real crown jewel is Ana Mandara Restaurant, 891 Beach Street. Rather than go into detail, I'll refer you to the website and then tell you that the wonderful pictures you see there actually understate the fabulous surroundings you will be dining in. It is Vietnamese cuisine with a French accent and it is truly outstanding in every respect:

http://www.anamandara.com/

Something else you might enjoy is walking up Columbus Street and checking out some of the excellent Italian places. Look for the lines that will tell you where the most highly regarded are located. ;)

Deblynn Jul 1st, 2004 08:02 AM

How about a couple of recommendations of more moderate places to eat with our two kids, ages 10 & 15? And what about any deli's for lunch around the wharf? Thanks, Deb

Marie Jul 1st, 2004 09:09 AM

I stayed at the Fisherman's Wharf Raddison about 5 years ago. Being RIGHT ON the wharf, it's a very convenient location, but also noisy - especially on weekends. But it's almost directly across the street from the sea lions - that was pretty cool because I developed a morning routine of taking my coffee out to watch the sea lions.

As for restaurants, I remember eating at an Italian restaurant that was pretty good but don't remember the name. Frankly, the place I enjoyed eating at the most (for the experience - not the food) was Bubba Gump Shrimp at the Pier. I know that it is a chain now, but it was fun - and your kids would probably enjoy it, too.

kikahead Jul 1st, 2004 10:15 AM

Boudin's is great for lunch--clam chowder in a bread bowl (also chili). They also have some sandwiches and salads. You will find multiple branches in the wharf area.

ParrotMom Jul 1st, 2004 10:34 AM

Maria...are you talking about Scola's (sp) we enjoyed it tremendously....right on the wharf and I remember ciappiano to die for...

Kal Jul 1st, 2004 10:39 AM

Ditto Cafe P!

Also about 2 blocks away from the Radisson is Ceaser's. Northern Italian.
Order ala carte or if you're REALLY hungry, get the 7 course meal.

Do 10 & 15yrs olds still love pasta?

Safeway is also located near The Rad/across the street from Cafe P.
Drop by their deli and pick up some sammies and maybe take them back to the Wharf, maybe up to the steps at Aquatic Park and have a little pic-a-nic?
Great view from there.

The restaurant inside the Argonaut Hotel was pretty nice and not too expensive from what I recall. Funky decor too the kids may like.

When I'm in tourist mode, we also, like Jayne, like Alioto's #9...halibut steak, cream sauce, boiled potato and a nice marina view.

Ditto Nonna Rosa's.

You can always fall back on Scoma's. But I don't want to start the Great Scoma's debate again!((A))

The Buena Vista is about a block up from FW. Good grub/burgers/breakfasts and EXCELLENT Irish Coffees for Mom and Dad! ((Y))
I thought I heard/read McCormick's/Kuleto's changed hands? Still a nice location tho. Great views.
I also think they opened up a Fuddruckers where TGIFridays/Houlihan's used to be. It's a chain but still good burgers.

I bet w/ kids you'll wind up at In n' Out Burger. ;)
Ahhh...thank goodness it's lunch break!
=P~

ElendilPickle Jul 1st, 2004 11:04 AM

>>You can always fall back on Scoma's. But I don't want to start the Great Scoma's debate again!<<

I used to love going to Scoma's when I was in high school and our honor society would take its annual trip to San Francisco. Is it still there, and what was the debate about?

Lee Ann

Jim_R Jul 1st, 2004 02:16 PM

I used to love Scoma's but that was in the 70's. Are they still their ?

Flyboy Jul 1st, 2004 02:48 PM

"How about a couple of recommendations of more moderate places to eat with our two kids, ages 10 & 15? And what about any deli's for lunch around the wharf?"

Okay, there's a Johnny Rockets that's practically a part of your building; a 50s style hamburger place that I think your kids will love and you will, too.

http://www.johnnyrockets.com

Hey, I'm not kidding! ;)

mwessel Jul 1st, 2004 03:13 PM

We ate at Bubba Gumps when we were there in 2000 and it was one of the most fun, relaxed meals we had. Would be absolutely great for kids.

travleis Jul 1st, 2004 04:23 PM

Wow...San Fran has the second best array of restaurants in the USA and people suggest Bubba Gump, Johnny Rockets and Boudin?
McDonald's would be next on that list.

Flyboy Jul 1st, 2004 04:47 PM

Ummmm... It wasn't my FIRST suggestion; you have to read the whole thread. But here's a very nice Chinese place in the wharf area with great food and excellent views of the Bay:

http://www.themandarin.com/

Get a window table. :D

mikemo Jul 1st, 2004 04:56 PM

Even with half-grown children, I would recommend Yank Sing Dim Sum - we stuffed ourselves with great choices, a bottle of wine and tea for $60. incl tax/tip on a late Sat afternoon - that didn't stop us from walking to Columbus Ave and having a Canoli for a late dessert.
M