Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Good restaurants in Bar Harbor (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/good-restaurants-in-bar-harbor-320041/)

argus1500 May 23rd, 2003 08:52 AM

Good restaurants in Bar Harbor

We are going in Acadia in July. Would appreciate any info on good restaurants in Bar Harbor (not too expensive, home style food).

karebear4567 May 23rd, 2003 08:54 AM

i don't remember the name of the place, but i went to this little place in Bar Harbor where you pick your own lobster and they cook it for you and it was yummy. i think they have a few places like this there. nothing fancy, just fresh lobster.

jasper May 23rd, 2003 12:42 PM

go to 'jordon's' for breakfast. maine is the blueberry state, and it's all about the blueberry pancakes/muffins/waffles/syrup/etc...!
one of the best mexican places i ever went to was 'miguel's'. so good! everyplace will have the lobster/corn/potato thing, so that's always good. love maine, enjoy.

mrsbu May 23rd, 2003 08:59 PM

Karebear....that may be the same pick it pond we go too and it is great. This one has a multi story outdoor deck where you can eat and also a bar where you can get tropical drinks. Also great benefit near the office for boat trips and htey allow you to bring your dog onto the dinning platforms.However the dog always wants the chicken fingers and passes on the lobster

argus1500 May 25th, 2003 05:44 PM

Thanks everyone, I've found addresses of these restaurants on Fodors' site.

Candy210 May 26th, 2003 04:06 PM

Post a question on www.chowhound.com. It's always been helpful for our vacations. Good Luck!

jtspclaw Jun 10th, 2003 12:26 PM

The absolute BEST place for lobster is Thurston's in Bernard on the far side of the island. Takes about 20-25 minutes to get there from Bar Harbor, but it is So-o-o-o worth it. There is a lobster place right in town, but that is more expensive and, in my opinion, much less quaint. The view from the deck in Barnard is excellent and the people are neat to watch. The service is fast and courteous and you pick the lobster(s) you want.

Traveler2320 Jun 18th, 2003 06:09 AM

We just returned from Bar Harbor this week and I strongly second the suggestions for Jordon's for breakfast and Thurston's for lobster.

The trip to Thurston's gives you an opportunity to travel over to the other side of the island.

BTW, if you like gardens, make sure you stop off at the Asicou azalea garden just outside of Northeast Harbor. The azaleas won't be in bloom, but it is also a wonderful Japanese style garden, with pond and stream, to walk through. They have a money box where you can deposit the $1 donation they request. On the other hand, the bird carving museum costs $5 to enter, which, IMO, is a bit pricy unless you have a deep interest in the subject.

dcc25 Jun 27th, 2003 01:33 PM

I strongly agree with going to Thurstons for lobster--it has the right ambiance (on the water, pick your own lobster) I think on a map it looks far, but the island is not that big

Fast_Freddy Jul 1st, 2003 01:02 PM

We just got back from Bar Harbor and while we didn't go for lobster (I know it sounds strange, but my wife is pregnant, so seafood is verboten), we did have some good meals. I'd recommend Anthony's for Italian food and, if you like eclectic menues, Cafe This Way, which featured an excellent maple peach panna cotta for desert. Not to be missed are the popovers and fresh, unsweetened lemonade at Jordan Pond House (especially refreshing considering we'd hiked there from Sand Beach). Have a great trip!