Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Good Restaurant between Phoenix and Sedona??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 11:40 AM
Eileen

My husband and I will be driving from Phoenix to Sedona and would like to stop about halfway to have something to eat...any suggestions for a good restaurant that would be informal?

Thanks!
Eileen

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 12:18 PM
June

There is absolutely nothing between Phoenix & Sedona except an outlet mall & I think a mcdonalds closer to Sedona. It only takes 2 hrs from Phx to Sedona so I would just wait and eat when you get to Sedona.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 12:37 PM
danna

I vote eat in Phoenix. I wasn't impressed by food choices in Sedona.

We swung by Pizarria Bianco before heading up to Sedona. It's great!

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 12:58 PM
c

There really isn't anything in between, so plan on having lunch when you arrive in Sedona. There was a recent posting for casual restaurants in Sedona that I'll try and pull up for you.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 01:42 PM
Paul

Okay my fellow Fodorites, I have to disagree with you here. The famous architect Paolo Soleri created something most interesting between Sedona and Scottsdale. I am talking about the Arcosanti Project/School in Mayer, AZ.
I found this to be quite an interesting place. There are artists who live on the school campus, and they are responsible for serving food in the café. The school in itself is truly something to see. They offer tours if you are so inclined. I managed to read in their bookstore and then walk around the property to sort of check things out. Of course I couldn't leave without buying one of the famous Arcosanti Bells. {I bought a second bell at their foundry in Scottsdale, Cosanti Original Bells at 6433 E Doubletree Ranch Road.}

The atmosphere is a bit 'bohemian' mind you, but it was fun and refreshing to see young people involved in such a great project. These artisans pride themselves on serving fresh food, many vegetarian items - along with burgers, salads and soups, etc. It is most entertaining to watch the students working together in this environment.

I pulled the following information from their website at http://www.arcosanti.org/

The Cafe at Arcosanti usually provides for overnight visitors three buffet meals. (Meal prices and meal times are subject to change without notice.)

Continental Breakfast: 7 - 9 am, $4.75 (including tax)

Lunch Buffet: Noon - 2 pm, $7.50 (including tax)

Dinner Buffet: 6 pm - 7 pm, $7.50 (including tax)

The Bakery at Arcosanti is open Wednesday through Sunday and closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. Breads, cookies, brownies, granola and other bakery items are made from organic flours, grains, nuts and fruit. The bakery also offers gourmet coffee, natural sodas, juices and teas. Luncheon items are sometimes available.

I found the place most interesting and strongly recommend a stop. This is a school that sprouted in the middle of the dessert. Very interesting!

Happy Trails,
Paul

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:51 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Ann

I totally agree with Paul. I stop at Arcosanti whenever we're in the area, and my collection of bells would prove it. But, if the cafe or bakery at Arcosanti doesn't interest you, my husband and I stop at the diner at the exit ramp to Arcosanti. It's not elegant, but it's fun (we like diners). Whether you eat there or not, do not miss Arcosanti.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Karen

There is a VERY casual, but very good restaurant, on the west side of I-17, called Rock Springs...it is extremely popular, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner and probably at least 20 kinds of pies daily. Easy access on and off the freeway too.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 08:49 PM
kalena

Mahalo Paul and Ann. I had heard of Arcosanti a while back,and I am glad it is still doing well. We love the Southwest, and will plan on a visit when we get there next.