Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is within walking distance from Copley Place in Boston?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be travelling withmy husband to Boston in September and will be staying at Mariot Copley PLAce. We will not have a car and am wandering what must-see's are closeby that I could take in while he is in meetings. I am interested in shopping, restaurants, and historical sights.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
All the best shops are on Newbury and also Boylston Street. The Library is worth a look, Restaurants galore, A must visit downtown to Filene's basement on Washington St. Walk down Boylston cut through the Gardens and cross into the common and you'll be there after walking down winter street.
The Christian Scientist church and Mapporian is another nearby. The Trinity Church, For antigues, walk to Charles street on lower Beacon Hill. Go see where Kerry lives on the hill.A walk along the Charles River is lovely.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:19 PM

Quincy Market/ Faneuil Hall and the Freedom Trail are close by too - great location!
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 08:12 PM
gyppielou

Bring your walking shoes!!! It is a perfect sized city to walk to everything. You can walk over the Mass Ave Bridge to explore Cambridge, Harvard Square, you can walk the Charles, Comm Ave, the Public Gardens to the Commons to Gov Center, the waterfront and the North End. You can walk and walk to everything! And if the weather turns, then you can grab a cab or train. Have a blast. Explore. I love stopping at Upper Crust on Charles Street for a slice for lunch. That way you're ready for a great dinner...so many choices.

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 03:37 AM

Boston is indeed a very "walkable" city. I strongly recommend that you get a detailed street map that also has the subway lines marked on it, so that you can walk around without getting TOO lost, and that you decide just how far is "walkable" for YOU.

Boston also has an excellent public transit system, with 4 color-coded subway lines and numerous bus routes. Your hotel is near stops on two different subway lines, and a few blocks from a bus line that goes up to Harvard Square.