Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Good place to stay moidway between Tahoe and San Fran?
Notices

Good place to stay moidway between Tahoe and San Fran?

Feb 5th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Good place to stay moidway between Tahoe and San Fran?

We're a middle aged couple driving from Lake Tahoe to San Francisco and are looking for an interesting, not too, too expensive place to stay mid-trip.We have a 1 pm flight out of SF, so we'd prefer to get fairly close Friday night and be able to explore a couple of hours Saturday morning. Alternatively we'd stop earlier for a great restaurant Friday night. Suggestions?
Feb 5th, 2013, 02:05 PM

Napa? It's certainly interesting. You codl have a fabulous breakfast and poke around before heading off to the airport.

If it were me I'd go all the way to SF and stay there - even if I had already visited. I just feel better staying close to the airport. I've been stuck on 80 between Sacto & SF so I wouldn't suggest that.
Feb 5th, 2013, 02:16 PM

It would take more driving the first day - but if drove over to Half Moon Bay - it's a great little place right on the Ocean and a fairly easy drive back the next morning - less than an hour without having to fight traffic (going after rush hour of course).

see http://www.travelmath.com/drive-dist...f+Moon+Bay,+CA and for restaurants,etc - http://web.halfmoonbaychamber.org/RestaurantsDowntown
Feb 5th, 2013, 02:42 PM

Lake Tahoe to SFO is about a 4 hour drive in middling traffic. With getting gas, droppping rental car, checking in for your flight and getting through security, you'll need approximately 2 hours. Unless you're pretty darn close to SFO, I don't know what you'd be able to do on Saturday morning.

Personally, I'd just drive to SFO and stay there (it's all freeway driving, so you could arrive late), and then if you want to get up early on Saturday, you'd have a couple of hours to explore - you could wander some very nice suburban streets (Burlingame), visit Stanford/Palo Alto (less than a half hour drive), or go to Half Moon Bay (also less than a half hour drive). You'd have plenty of time for any of those IF you get up early on Saturday.

Search this Thread