Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Good place to spend day and night on way to Montreal from NYC

Old May 19th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dh and I are planning on driving (ugh) from Long Island to Montreal in August, and thought a good way to break up the drive would be to stop somewhere north of Albany and spend the night. We're thinking Saratoga or Lake Placid (Lake George is a no). Will racing be over the last week of August in Saratoga? Looking for somewhere nice, good eats, scenic, quaint - you know the usual. Any suggestions?
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:10 AM

Racing goes until the first weekend of September so it would be close to impossible (and very expensive) to get a room in Saratoga then. In Albany, I would recommend the Desmond - it's not small but very nice. Also, the Century House in Latham (off exit 6 of the northway) would be an option. There are many places in Lake Placid as well - I would book earlier rather than later.
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:36 AM

Hi Lori,
we have done that trip quite few times and I found that Saratoga was the worst of the stops that we made in August. It is SO hot , the town is hopelessly crowded, restaurants, hotels, icky B&Bs are all full. We paid a lot for a night in a B&B that we ended up leaving and losing the money on, it stunk of mildew and there were no other rooms in town.
So- I would suggest Lake George ( I found it cooler there near the water than Saratoga) We stayed at the Sagamore but there are some really lovely places nearby in Diamond Point ( I think that is the name)
We took a drive to Blue Mt Lake once when stopping over, that was great, especially since in Aug they have a huge very good antiques fair ( Sigourney Weaver was shopping alongside us)
I look forward to hearing what you decided on and a trip report = now that I no longer live in that region.
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:24 AM

Consider Skaneateles, a pretty lake town with a few nice places to stay. One thing to consider at that time of year is college towns (like Oswego) might be booked with parents bringing kids back to school.
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:42 AM

although I love Skaneateles, I think it's WAY out of the way (by several hours) so I would leave that for another trip.
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:42 AM

It's a little bit off the 87 (the route I assume you'll be taking), but there's a B&B I would love to stay in sometime in the town of Hague. It's on the 9N at the northern end of Lake George on the way to Ticonderoga. (I'm guessing that when you said Lake George is a no... you were referring to Lake George Village at the southern end).

I've passed this place several times on my way to Vermont where my brother lives. The town of Hague is just a little hamlet, and the B&B I'm talking about sits up on a hill with a beautiful view of the lake and mountains. Every time I pass it I comment to my husband that some day we're gonna stop and stay overnight.

Here's the website:

http://www.lakegeorge-ny.com/ruahbb/rooms.htm

If you decide to stay there, I hope you'll post back and let me know if it's any good.

Have fun!
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

OK, if there is still racing at Saratoga that is not an option. Radiofanatic and Miz Scarlett, I agree with you- it will be ridiculously priced, crowded etc. My problem with Lake George is all the commercial ticky tackiness of it, but I have only seen that side of it. When I was a kid, we used to go up to Schroon Lake, is that still nice? I remember it was lovely.
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:27 PM

Sorry, I'm ferklempt. I was thinking Toronto
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:28 PM

LoriNY: Just to clarify, the part of Lake George I was talking about in my post is VERY much removed from the tacky part of the southern end. (It's a long lake).
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:59 PM

I also agree with the Sagamore - although on Lake George, it is far away from the tackiness you are talking about. I would also recommend looking in the Bolton Landing area.
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:16 PM

that is it! Boltons Landing..there is a lovely hotel that is a huge old house with a sort of row of motel rooms on the side, huge cedar trees and a small private beach on the lake.
You can see the Sagamore from that hotel. It is the first place we ever stayed in at Lake George.
I have never really been to the tacky part of Lake George, after arriving for the first time, we were so turned off by it, we always went to the other end.
I love Schroon Lake! Quiet and sort of feels like a Norman Rockwell painting