Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Good Place to Eat in Dallas/Fort Worth International ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just received a change in our flight which gives us a long layover around dinner time in the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. Please tell me where we find can a good meal in this airport. Thanks!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

With the changes they've made to our schedules, we now have a 45 minute layover at DFW, with flight change, on the way to Jackson, WY. I'm hopeful we'll be able to make the connection. BUT I'm worried about our luggage making it, what do you think?
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

I found this recommendation on the "Good Airport Food" thread:

Author: ChristieP
Date: 07/17/2006, 08:38 pm
Reata at DFW's new Terminal D!

Does it still hold true?

Some folks on that thread remembered good bbq at DFW, but couldn't remember where they'd eaten it.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 08:20 AM

BG, why not post a new thread with the 45 minute question?

Austin has great places to eat. I usually grab a burger at Mickey D's in Dallas. Sorry I'm no help there.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 09:15 AM

There are some Fridays last time I was there, but not sure where. And Dickeys BBQ, which is pretty good stuff, but maybe heavy for a flight. I just usually grab whatever is closest to my gate, or en route. Hot pretzels work great for me, or chicken nuggets. But if you get a drink, you better finish it before you board. And even with the nuggets now, can you take the bbq sauce on the plane?
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 09:18 AM

Your luggage will probably make it, but you might be pushing hard to make the gate, depending on the terminal and gate. DFW is gigantic. Pack a sandwich in advance--you won't have time to order anything to take with you.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 09:35 AM

There is a TGI Fridays at Dallas Fort Worth, but I don't remember which gate it is near. Great food.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:11 AM

I'm not sure I fully understand BayouGal's facts. First she says she has a "long layover" then she says she has a 45 minute layover. If it's the latter 45 minutes is not really enough time to deplane from the inbound flight, "get a good meal" and board the connecting flight. Remember that 45 minutes is from scheduled touch-down until scheduled take-off and does not include taxi time for the in-bound flight. Assuming you are staying on the same airline and your in-bound and out-bound flights are in the same terminal (if you are flying on American they use any one of 4 different terminals) and you take 10 to 15 minutes to deplane your out-bound flight will beging boarding just about the same time you deplane. That barely gives you enough time to walk to the next gate let alone take the shuttle to an adjacent terminal if necessary. About the best you can hope for is to pick up a quick snack from one of the fast food places in the terminal (assuming the line is not too long). On occasion, they have food carts stationed near some of the gates where you can pick up a ready made sandwich and a cool drink (drink must now be consumed before you board).
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help, everyone. Sorry for the confusion. I didn't realize we had the shorter layover until after I'd started this thread.

We have the short (45 min) layover in DFW on the flight to Jackson. We do change planes but all flights AA.

We have the long layover (over 2 1/2 hrs) in the evening at DFW on the flight home to New Orleans. That's why we want dinner recommendations in the DFW airport. The final leg will be a quick one from DFW to NO. Eating in Dallas will prevent us from having to stop to eat on the way to our house from the airport that night.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 03:56 PM
P_M

Hello BG. I don't know which terminal your flights go in and out of, but if your layover is long enough, I forbid you to miss Terminal D!! It is one of the best-looking airport terminals I've ever seen. If time allows, take a full walk around Terminal D. They have so many beautiful mosaics on the floor, it's time well spent. Also don't miss the glass maze.

I ate at the Blue Mesa Taco & Tequila Bar, but there are so many great restaurants there, I had a heck of a time choosing and so will you.

Here's some info and a map of Terminal D:

http://www.dfwairport.com/shops/overview-d.php
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:02 PM

BayouGal, I recently flew in and out of DFW via AA and those shuttle bus things are very speedy at getting you from one terminal to the next. Your problem will lie in getting off quickly from the first plane, depending on where you're seated. It is a gbig airport but well laid out and easy to navigate. BTW, we ate at the TGI Fridays and it was decent. For the longer layover, maybe consider checking out the restaurant at the Hyatt conncected to the airport. Go to Hyatt.com and look for the DFW one. Just an idea. You access the hotel right there from the terminal.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, P_M. We'll have time on the way home. With almost 3 hrs we'll be able to have dinner and see Terminal D. Thank you so much for the info!

After reading A_Traveller's post, I am worried about that short layover on the way to Jackson. Don't really know if we have any other options at this point, though. I figured we can run, run, run to make our next flight on American. Hope our luggage makes it to Jackson too. Going from home in New Orleans to Jackson is going to be quite a difference in temp. We are going to need more clothes!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Laurenzo!

The last time I was at DFW, I was travelling alone, my plane was late landing, and I literally had to sprint in heels to make my flight to LAX. Hopefully with the train or shuttles, we won't have to RUN through the airport! LoL
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:10 PM
P_M

Sorry BG, I didn't address your short layover.

I have found myself running through DFW airport on many occasions. If all goes on schedule, 45 minutes is more than enough time for both you and your luggage to make it without hurry. If you are delayed by more than 20 minutes, then you need to haul some serious butt if you are changing terminals. I prefer the train to the outside shuttles because then you will stay behind security. If you are not sure whether to walk or take the train, ask anyone at the airport. More people there are pretty well-versed as to the fastest way to get from one place to another.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, P_M. You are a doll! I try to avoid short layovers at all costs, but there's not much you can do when they change flight times.

And here I thought worrying about a hurricane preventing us from flying out of N.O. was the worst that might happen! ;-)
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:30 PM

Just because both of your flights are AA doesn't mean you won't have to change terminals. AA currently flies out of 3 of the 5 terminals at DFW!
Yes, my earlier recommendation for Reata still stands. But with just 45 minutes at the most, you likely won't have time to sit and enjoy dinner. There are several Fridays throughout DFW (since the parent company has its HQ in Dallas), and they are usually really quick with to-go orders.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Christie!

The 45 min layover is on the way TO Jackson. We won't need to eat then.

The long layover is on the way HOME from Jackson. We'll have time to eat dinner then.

I realize my connections with AA may not be in the same terminal, that's why I've been discussing trains and shuttles with posters.

Thanks, again for the advice!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:10 PM

If you have to travel between the AA terminals take the new monorail There are stations located in each terminal and the ride between terminals is only about 3 minutes to the next closest terminal and about 7 minutes between the two furthest apart terminals. You also remain in the securred area so you don't have to pass through the security checkpoints. Before getting on the monorail check the terminal map just to be sure you are not within a short walk of your next gate (the terminals are connected by passageways and it might be quicker to walk. Check out the following website:

www.dfwairport.com/terminals/

Finally, for your dinner layover I second the vote for you to go to terminal D. It's brand new, state of the art with lots of shops and several very good restaurants (as previously mentioned).
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

You folks are great! Thank you so much.

And A_Traveller, I really appreciate you taking the time to come back and explain the DFW setup, especially after I had confused the daylights out of you the first time.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

A_Traveller, thanks for the link, too. I am printing that RIGHT NOW for my trip folder. Information I don't want to be without!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -