Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Good place to eat in Asheville, NC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/good-place-to-eat-in-asheville-nc-545055/)

cnote Jul 18th, 2005 12:18 PM

Good place to eat in Asheville, NC

I am traveling with my extended family, including children aged 8 - 13, and we're looking for a good place to eat in Asheville, NC. No taboo cuisines.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

cnote Jul 18th, 2005 12:19 PM

Sorry, that should have said, no cuisines are off limits, we're pretty open.

cmcfong Jul 18th, 2005 12:28 PM

Tupelo Honey, The Flying Frog, the sidewalk cafes at the Grove Arcade especially the Thai restaurant there,and the Grovewood Restaurant (this is next door to the Grove Park but is not affiliated with them).

cmcfong Jul 18th, 2005 12:29 PM

PS, the Chocolate Fetish has some delicious on site made chocolates. I wish I had bought more when I was there last week. Oh well, a good reason to return.

bonniebroad Jul 18th, 2005 01:28 PM

La Paz, excellent Mexican & Margaritas ... Trevi, really good Italian ... Stable Cafe, Biltmore Estate, if you're touring there ... delicious food!

leahinsc Jul 18th, 2005 02:42 PM

Take a look at www.chowhound.com - there are lots of posts about Asheville. to CMCFONG - the Thai place at Grove Arcade?? I tried it once and wasn't impresed, noisy and expensive and not all that good. Maybe it has improved though. I prefer the Thai restaurant on Merrimon.
Other recommendations: Lobster Trap(casual, great seafood, good prices on drinks), Stoney Knob in Weaverville - great prices, portions and kid friendly, Limones (outstanding food - organic Pacific Mexican/high end), Barley's and Mellow Mushroom - great pizza and salads...
and I could go on and on.

cmcfong Jul 18th, 2005 03:39 PM

Leah, I was with a Thai friend a few months ago and she really loved it. Personally, I am not a huge fan of Thai food, but I thought it was fine. The trouble with recommending restaurants is that it is subject to such vagaries. I wanted to try Limone last weekend after reading another of your posts about it. Always glad to have choices. Asheville is certainly loaded with them.

Jacqueline1212 Jul 19th, 2005 06:33 AM

Three Sisters - we loved it. Butcher paper on the tables so good for the kids. Food tends towards organic and quite imaginative with some comfort food stuff mixed in like meatloaf.

leahinsc Jul 19th, 2005 02:21 PM

Sorry - but I live in Asheville and am not familiar w/ 3 Sisters Restaurant - I even did a search and couldn't find it...confused!

formerfreqflyer Jul 22nd, 2005 02:58 PM

Enjoyed the Boathouse on the lake (Julian?) in December. The view might be fun for the kids.

Jacqueline1212 Jul 23rd, 2005 01:14 AM

So sorry! I meant Early Girl. Had my cities confused. Another senior moment but, at my age, I guess I'm entitled once in a while!

jeothomas Jul 23rd, 2005 01:35 PM

Ditto on Early Girl Eatery -- order a side of grits croutons! The unusual fare might not appeal to kids, however. The Moose Cafe at the Farmer's Market is a local favorite -- country cooking, very reasonable prices.