Search

Good Place for Mid-Price Lunch near Carnegie Hall

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Place for Mid-Price Lunch near Carnegie Hall

Hi, New York gourmets!

Can you recommend a place to get some lunch near Carnegie Hall?

I'm meeting with some friends before a 2pm performance at Carnegie Hall. Would like to able to get some lunch together and then just walk over for the performance. It'll be a light lunch, a little bit better than just-grab-a-bite-to-eat place, but not break the bank fancy place. Quiet too, for some conversation as we haven't seen each other for a couple of years.

Looking forward to your recommendations!
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 11:35 AM

I do like Le Pain Quotidien, which is on 7th Avenue, near Central Park South, less than 5 minutes from Carnegie Hall, perhaps much less if you're fast walkers. You can get open-face French-style sandwiches and salads and have lunch for under $20. I like this, but it could be a little casual for you.

Brasserie Cognac, on the corner of Broadway and 55th (a block from Carnegie Hall) is more of a real sit-down restaurant (with some outdoor seating as well). Most of the lunchy salads and other options are under $20, but a lunch there is going to be $25 or so per person if you sit down, about typical for this part of midtown.

If you don't mind walking a bit further, there are some really nice places in the Time-Warner Center, which is about a 10-minute walk away, but you can even have a meal at Whole Foods there, where the prepared food is pretty good. There is a rather large but busy seating area.

There are loads of restaurants and fast food in the area (including Osteria del Circo, which has a really nice lunch menu but puts you into another price point), so you have many many choices, including Au Bon Pain toward 6th Avenue on 55th Street; that would certainly be cheaper, but there is seating.

There are also places right on 57th Street, but I rarely go up that way for lunch, so I'm not sure what to recommend, except for the Burger Joint at Le Parker Meridien (but you can enter on 56th).
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Wow! That was fast!

thanks so much, Doug!

Will check into your recommendations now.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 12:06 PM
yk

I like le Pain Quotidien in general. Do realize that many LPQ have communal tables (haven't been to the particular location mentioned above), so it may not be the best place if you want to have a chat with your friends. Also, LPQ tends to have fast service so you may feel awkward to stay for too long.

Kitty Corner to Carnegie Hall is Cafe Europa. I didn't eat that but did meet some internet friends there this past Spring prior to a concert. The friends ate dinner there and from what I saw, the food looks fairly decent.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

yk: thanks for the reco!

I'm stuck now, looking at all these different places. LOL! There are salad bars, French bistros, and any number of other kinds of quick eateries.

BTW, you recommended some kind of metro pass one time. Is there a weekly pass with unlimited travel?
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 12:50 PM
yk

http://www.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#unlimited
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

yk: thanks! I remember now!

too many metro systems, can't keep them all straight!
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 01:51 PM

If you want to sit and chat with friends at lucnh hour I do not reco Au Bon Pain or Le Pain Quotidien. Both are OK for a fst bite - but too casuale, shared tbles and they expect you to be in and out at lunch hour. I would spend a little more for a longer lunch and a little more quiet.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

nytraveler: Thanks for the warning!

I've looked at La Bonne Soupe and Benoit as well as Europa Cafe. Think the Time-Warner Center is a bit too far. We don't want to be running to Carnegie Hall because we spent too much time at lunch!
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 04:13 PM

I would go to Brasserie Cognac which is reasonably quiet and comfortable and the food is decent.
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 05:04 AM

Just FYI, the Le Pain Quotidien location near Carnegie Hall has much more than shared, communal tables. There are tables for 2 or 4. Some of the smaller locations only have communal tables, but that's not the case here.

I do like La Bonne Soupe. Europa Cafe is just a salad bar/deli. The food is ok, but it's much more frenetic than the Au Bon Pain.
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 06:56 AM

Give some thought to a 12:00 $32 three-course prix-fixe lunch at Nougatine, Jean-Georges Vongerichten's restaurant that adjoins his flagship namesake in the Trump International Hotel on Columbus Circle. One of NYC's great bargains. http://www.jean-georges.com/
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi, all, thanks again!

My friend has given me his list and I've given him my list. We are going through the two lists right now. I never thought arranging for a luncheon meeting could get this complicated!

Hello, bspielman! Thanks for your recommendation, I'll add it to my list.

Any chance we might be going to the same operas and might be able to meet on the staircase like last time? Mind if I email you?
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 09:01 AM

Angelo's Pizza is just a few doors away. http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/angelos-pizza-2/

http://tinyurl.com/44x3p8r

Fluffy's Cafe is another good spot a few blocks away.
http://www.menupages.com/restaurants...s-cafe-bakery/
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 12:57 PM

Margaret, you can reach me at [email protected]. I'm e-mailing you directly. We met at Fiorello's across from Lincoln Center in May 2009. Tempus fugit!
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Great minds must work in the same direction! I just emailed you! LOL!
Old Sep 30th, 2011, 08:21 PM

Lili's 57 Street for sushi and Chinese. I love their dragon roll.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 06:02 AM

Another option - very close to Carnegie Hall on 57 St -- Brooklyn Diner -- a "Diner" but not a diner -- and probably a good spot for your group.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 01:20 PM

One of my favorites is Rue 57 (57th and 6th). It will be a little more in price than others mentioned.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 03:09 PM

I'm probably coming to this thread tooa late for the original poster, but for the record, Europa's food is decent and I've lingered over dinner there a few times without being rushed. Can't speak for lunchtime though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -