Good night's sleep in San Fransisco

Jul 24th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Good night's sleep in San Fransisco

Can anyone help with hotels please - we would like two rooms away from traffic noise for our family in a hotel that is in a location that has good transport links as we only have three days in the city. Reading posts it would seem that around Union Square is well centred but we would compromise to get a good nights sleep ( we come from deep in the English countryside!) Searching for hotels I came upon the Washington Square Inn in North Beach which has rooms overlooking a quiet courtyard however there are no vacancies! We need accommodation for September so I need to move ahead - our budget is about $200 dollars per night per room. Hilary
Jul 24th, 2006, 04:16 PM

Hotel Monaco.

(I know, Kal and LoveItaly. I know. But, if I didn't post this, you would miss me )
Jul 24th, 2006, 04:19 PM

Isn't Monaco on Geary - a street with heavy traffic, bus 38 runs 24/7.
Jul 24th, 2006, 04:25 PM

Almost anyplace in the center of the city will have traffic noise, but you can specify a room away from the street, as you know from the Washington Square Inn. We like the Donatello and usually ask for a corner room, which is very noisy, but the last time we stayed there, they gave us a room at the back and it was quiet. This hotel is not on Union Square, but only a block from it. I usually get our San Francisco Hotels by using hotelres.com, where you can choose the area and they show you what is available. They have maps They are a discounter, but you don't pay upfront, you just make the reservation thrugh them and then deal with the hotel. If you see something you like, you could google the hotel's website and enquire about a quiet room. Good luck.
Jul 24th, 2006, 04:26 PM

We slept as well in an 11th floor room at the "bargain" Chancellor Hot. on Union Square returning from China as we did in the sumptuous Hambleton Hall in Rutland.
Buen viaje.
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Jul 24th, 2006, 04:26 PM

I've never had trouble with traffic noise at the Monaco.

Where can they go in SF without outside traffic?
Jul 24th, 2006, 04:30 PM

Dunno. Mabbe an island? Mare Island?
Jul 24th, 2006, 04:32 PM

And where is that in San Francisco?
Jul 24th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Kal

If you're drunk and passed out in The Monaco and a tree falls on the #38 bus going down Geary does it still make a noise?:-?

We've had some nice, quiet stays at Harbor Court (inside room), Park Hyatt, Club Quarters and The Tuscan Inn at Fish Wharf.
I guess the key is getting an interior or courtyard room. Remember, if you get a view, you may pay for it with noise.
Jul 24th, 2006, 05:02 PM

taylor_made, take the SF/Vallejo ferry to Vallejo, take a taxi across the causeway and WOW you are on MareIsland. Only problem is there are no hotels there lol. Mare Island is the former Mare Island Naval Shipyard which was closed in 1996..think it was 1996. There are lots of residences being built on MI and former officer quarters, houses etc being renovated..quite shocking what the prices are. The north end of the island has turned into a business park.

Now about the Monaco Starrsville...I THOUGHT Hilary asked for a quiet location!! Know what I mean dear friend?

The Donatello is a very nice hotel, but really trandolph, there are quiet rooms? I believe you but I never had one..not that that was a problem, noise actually helps me sleep better.

Hilary, I honestly do not know of a lodging that would give you the peace and quiet that you are use to at home.
I am sure the same situation is true in London? I would imagine, but I don't know as I have not visited London, that London has noise that a country resident is not use to.

But welcome to SF and I wish you a wonderful visit.

Jul 24th, 2006, 05:06 PM

LOL Kal, you think people in SF get drunk? What is that you say?
And Geary has trees?? Hmmm, I think it is more like if a drunken homeless person falls over..not a tree. Just a thought.
Jul 24th, 2006, 05:11 PM

Loveitlay,

So, it's not in San Francisco as Hilary had asked for.
Jul 24th, 2006, 05:16 PM

Okay, a REALLY high room at the Hyatt.
Jul 24th, 2006, 09:07 PM

I have stayed at many different hotels in San Francisco and even the Mark Hopkins can be noisey if you don't get a room on an upper level - trolley runs down California street.

We have had good luck with a couple of Joie de Vivre hotels - Hotel Rex and Hotel Carlton - both are close to Union Square and within your price range HOWEVER, we stayed at the Hotel Carlton in a warm September and there was no AC. In September it could be warm or it might not be. Here is a link to the Hotel Carlton website:

http://www.jdvhospitality.com/hotels/hotel/248

All beds are queens, the rooms are lovely, no view, continental breakfast included and wine and cheese in the afternoon. It is in a nice area just down from the Ritz.

and the Joie de Vivre website:

http://www.jdvhospitality.com/

Hotel Carlton is #14 on SF Hotels on Tripadvisor and Rex #9.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g6...ia-Hotels.html

If you book with them on their website, watch the date you select carefully - last spring I accidentally picked February 2007 instead of 2006.

Whenever you book a hotel room, tell them you want a quiet room when you make the reservation. Upon check in tell them your request again, examine the room before using anything in the room and make sure it is acceptable to you. If not, go back down to the desk and request another room. Go back 5 times if you have to.

Jul 24th, 2006, 10:52 PM

taylor_made, Faina was making a joke..a joke that has been floating around on Fodor's for about a month.

But my directions and description regarding Mare Island is accurate.
Jul 24th, 2006, 11:31 PM

No, no, no...the Monaco is beautiful bug as Faina said, it's on Geary. Way too noisy of a street for someone who wants peace. Have you checked the Fairmont? They may have specials going. It's on Nob Hill which is pretty quiet. The first hotel I thought of was the Huntington because English friends of ours love it but it's not in your price range, I'm afraid. Another thought would be the St. Francis (Westin), in the tower. No noise, spacious rooms and a grand hotel.
Jul 24th, 2006, 11:36 PM

We didn't stay there, but the White Swan Inn seemed peaceful when we popped in one afternoon. They had cookies in the lobby too. The English decor might make you feel as though you hadn't left home though.

We did stay at the Argonaut and, except for part of one night, found it quiet. The bed was so comfortable that we always slept well. Our room faced the front with a view of the ships; we thought the side rooms facing the street might have been noisier because of cars accelerating up the hill. Cable car turnaround is just around the corner and the ride up the hill is fantastic. It goes by the crooked part of Lombard St., and the Cablecar Museum. I don't know how much the hotel's rates have gone up since we stayed there..

http://www.jdvhospitality.com/hotels/hotel/16
http://www.argonauthotel.com/
Jul 25th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone and to anyone else who posts in the next day or so! So many kind replies already.
As you all point out a hotel may have a real mix of rooms. I had already emailed one or two of the suggestions (so far without reply) and will follow up on others you have suggested - sometimes the problem is that there is some sort of automated reservation service and, try as you might, an email address for the hotel doesnt present itself anywhere! I shall probably have some more questions as I look at our holiday arrangements (we are doing a circular tour) and will make sure I post a trip report in October! Thanks again.
Jul 25th, 2006, 05:03 AM

The Handlery hotel just off Union Square has some very quiet rooms if you request one overlooking the swimming pool.
Jul 25th, 2006, 08:03 AM

Hilary,

I found the wharf area to be quieter than downtown. It's a very touristy area, but lacks the nightlife which means it also lacks the noise. We stayed at the Best Western Tuscan Inn (much nicer than the average Best Western) and found it to be very quiet. (Keep in mind I live two blocks from a freight train, but still, I hate car horns and didn't hear any.) You can request a courtyard room to avoid street noise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO