Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   good motels to stay in at moab, escalante, torrey, and bryce in may (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/good-motels-to-stay-in-at-moab-escalante-torrey-and-bryce-in-may-1022455/)

JOPP Aug 8th, 2014 01:27 PM

good motels to stay in at moab, escalante, torrey, and bryce in may

i need some help in good hotels or motels to stay in in may. we will need one in Moab one in escalante, torrey, and bryce

polly229 Aug 8th, 2014 04:18 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "good". I don't think there are any accommodations I'd describe as "good" anywhere in that part of Utah. In 2011 when we were in that area we stayed at a Hampton Inn in Moab, the Best Western Capital Reef (just outside Capital Reef NP), Circle D Motel in Escalante and Bryce Canyon Inn in Tropic (just outside Bryce Canyon). They were all acceptable. The two chains were better than the other two, as well as more expensive, but also didn't have cancellation penalties. (We tend to stay in chains when we can since we're getting older and now have in the backs of our minds that we may need to cancel a trip, especially those planned far in advance, for physical or medical reasons. Also, if we change our minds about something when further planning the trip and it necessitates a hotel change, we can cancel the chain hotel without losing $25-50.)

There are quite a number of motels in Moab, chain and independent, and you could get more information on TripAdvisor about those. We found that Moab had the most expensive motels of anywhere else we stayed (11 different motels) on the 3 wk. trip, with the exception of the Mesa Verde park service hotel. (North of Moab on the Interstate we stayed in a Holiday Inn Exp. - Green River, I think - that was cheaper than our Moab motel and just as good.)

Circle D and Bryce Canyon Inn were '50s-style motels, both under $80 3 years ago, and pretty basic but clean and reasonably comfortable. But both had cancellation fees, so you should be pretty sure you want to stay there before you book. We would have used chains there, too, but there were none except a couple of Best Westerns outside Bryce that were full. I might have gotten cancellations if I'd kept checking back, but we decided to gamble on Bryce Canyon Inn and it was okay.

In addition, there is a park service hotel at Bryce Canyon which I'd suggest purely for location. I you haven't stayed in park hotels, understand that they're pretty basic also and rather expensive for what you get. But being located in the park mostly makes up for it. If you want to go that route and your dates are full, keep calling back. People book park service hotels a year or more in advance, then cancel in the months leading up to their prospective trip. I've found that the month before your stay is the optimal time to get cancellations. Call daily. In the meantime, book a room at one of the Best Westerns and you'll be able to cancel it if you get what you want in Bryce.

Digbydog Aug 8th, 2014 04:34 PM

In Moab, there are some nicer places to stay further out. However, we have liked staying closer to the park entrance. Last time we stayed at the Aarchway Inn. It was reasonably priced and right across from the park entrance--nothing special, but clean. I would stay there again.

In Bryce, I would stay at Bryce Canyon Lodge. The lodge itself is historic, but the rooms are nothing fancy. But it is much more convenient to be right in the park.

spirobulldog Aug 9th, 2014 03:29 AM

Moab- Hampton Inn--maybe a notch above your typical Hampton Inn

Torrey- Austin's Chuckwagon--clean, but nothing great. Does have nice Grocery Store and Deli that is attached. This is about the only thing in town unless you want a B&B

Bryce--First Choice would easily be Bryce Lodge for me. 2nd would be Ruby's

Escalante--Boulder Mountain Lodge

sharondi Aug 9th, 2014 03:58 AM

We rarely choose chain motels/hotels and prefer staying in the smaller lodging options. Moab is usually the most expensive and has the most chain-based lodging. We like the River Canyon lodge - good location just off the main road, decent rooms, reasonably priced but nothing special. In 2012 we stayed at the Rustic Inn - very clean, basic accomodations, nice pool area, very reasonable and great location in the center of town but off of the main road.

This year, we'll be staying at the Quality Suites - we had a tough time finding lodging in Moab for our Sept trip. We got a great price but its a little further out of town than we like and on the main road. I'll be sure to post a trip report when we return.

In Torrey, we love staying at Austin's Chuckwagon - very clean, small motel in a lovely setting. Nice pool and hottub, laundry, general store with deli and bakery, all on site. Very reasonably priced. We've also stayed at the Best Western and its very nice - just much larger and a little more expensive. But it has lovely views and a nice pool and hottub too. You can't go wrong with either choice.

In Bryce, I would recommend staying in the park. Since you are not going until May, you have time to reserve a cabin or room at the lodge - its more expensive, but well worth it. The drive into the park from Ruby's or other lodging makes it difficult to get in to see the sunrise/sunsets. Much more convenient staying close to the canyon but there is limited lodging in the park and it fills up fast. Book as soon as you can. The dining at Bryce Canyon Lodge is good - much better than other in park dining.

Escalante is a very small town with no chains and few choices. We've stayed at the Prospector Inn (2007) which was clean and very affordable. Just don't dine in the attached restaurant - not so good. Last year, we stayed at the Circle D which was great - clean and quiet. Great restaurant on site with really good food. Escalante Outfitters across the road also serves good food and they sell all kinds of things in the store - mostly outdoor equipment and maps, etc but also sell a small selection of wine and liquor which is convenient.

jayne1973 Aug 9th, 2014 05:31 AM

In Moab, we had a good experience with Bowen Motel, which is centrally located so you can walk to restaurants and shops on Main Street. There was free continental breakfast, plus microwave and fridge in the room, which was clean and well kept. www.bowenmotel.com

cd Aug 9th, 2014 07:02 AM

In Torrey, right outside of town, we stayed at the Best Western. Ask for a balcony room facing the mountains. We enjoyed this room because it provided a view for our morning coffee :-)http://bestwesternutah.com/hotels/be...ol-reef-resort
In Bryce I would stay at Ruby's. We did not, we stayed in a log cabin further away but in going back, I would stay at Ruby's it is right outside the park. DH and I do not like staying inside the parks because they do not have TV in the rooms which is important to us as we like to watch the news before going to sleep at night or maybe a late night movie.

mlgb Aug 9th, 2014 08:47 AM

It would help if you defined good and your budget.

I've stayed at Red Cliffs Lodge but it is probably too far outside of Moab if your main interest is in going to Arches, etc.

Comfort Suites is new, you might look at that.

I stayed in Kanab in a cute little motel, Canyons Lodge. They are a basic roadside motel with good service and updated rooms.

In Torrey if you don't want to book ahead you probably won't be able to get Austin's Chuckwagon. I wound up at the Rim Rock which has a good restaurant although slow service, and basic but large motel rooms. The town is quiet at night with just a little highway noise, so it probably isn't that important where you stay, unlike in Moab.