Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Good local cuisine near Shenandoah National Park?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 01:13 PM
SZ

We'll be visiting Shenandoah National Park in October. I'm looking for good regional cuisine in the area -- food that's unique to that corner of Virginia. Any recommendations?

Barring that -- are there any non-chain restaurants we should try?

Thanks!

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 01:35 PM
x

Inn at Little Washington, Va., a local place with decent fare. Perhaps you should reserve, just in case a 4H group might be in town. Probably throw in a tie - who knows, you may decide you want to wear it. Take a valid credit card. They normally have whatever is currently in season. I don't believe it's part of a chain, unless it's the relais thing. Enjoy Virginia and the Shenandoah mountains.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 07:53 PM
xx

The Little Inn is quite pricey, a meal for two easily over $100.00, more with wine. It can be reached from the rte 211 exit of Skyline Drive.

My choice would be the Strasburg Hotel off I81 in Strasburg. About 25 minutes from Front Royal.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Susan

The Inn at Little Washington is one of the best restaurants in the US and the price reflects that. Sun-thurs are cheaper. We like the restaurant at Jordan Hollow Farm near Luray.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:08 AM
Ed

Have you thought of bear or moose meat? It's cheaper than paying for a meal.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:49 AM
ddd

Why all the sarcasm and nastiness in reply to a reasonable question?

SZ, you don't give any details about who you're travelling which might influence people's suggestions (and all of the genuine ones you've received are fine restaurants). I'd pick Inn at Little Washington as the hands down best but it is expensive (that $100 before wine number is per person...menu is fixed price) and I wouldn't take children. Reserve well in advance even during the week.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Chris

Knowing your travelmates and budget would be helpful...Inn at Little Washington is one of the finest restaurants in the nation, and just as pricey. If you're looking for something more reasonable, a good burgers-and-sandwiches place is The Appetite Repair Shop, in Sperryville, just before Luray/Skyline Drive. A fun atmosphere, a nice little town. Five miles up the road from Little Washington is Flint Hill, VA -- it's a nice drive from Sperryville to Little Washington to Flint Hill -- is Four and Twenty Blackbirds, a little more upscale but not as much as Inn. There are some good spots in Luray too -- but my memory is weak! Anybody?

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 10:44 AM
SZ

Thanks for the responses (most of them, anyway!).

My travel party consists of my husband and me. We prefer more relaxed restaurants -- nothing that would require a jacket and tie, for example. I guess that would put us in the medium-to-low budget range, so recommendations along the lines of Appetite Repair Shop (love that name!) would be great.

Has anyone been to Mrs. Rowe's in Staunton, VA? I read about it Roadfood.com -- sounds like a winner.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Jane

Here's a vote for Mrs. Rowe's (pronounced like "cows"), if you're in the mood for home cookin' that's hearty and filling, but not fancy. Great oven-fried chicken, corn pudding, mashed potatoes, pork chops — you get the picture. It's almost always busy, but it's a pretty big place.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 07:36 PM
Anne

We stop at Mrs. Rowe's often on our travels on #81.I agree with Jane on the food there.
Inn at Little Washington is fabulous, but as pointed out, VERY expensive.
If you want some "continental flavor" stop at Edalweiss Restaurant at Greenville exit off #81, 2 or 3 exits south from Staunton (where Mrs. Rowe's is). Hearty German food and beers.Casual. Also live music on Fri. and Sat.
Strasburg Hotel is old and quaint. Restaurant quite good.Worth a stop !
Have a good time !

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 07:40 PM
Anne

Sorry, got a typo in my previous message.The name of the German restaurant is Edelweiss !