Good jazz clubs in New York

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 10:09 AM
jazzlover

Good jazz clubs in New York

There seem to be so many jazz clubs in NYC. For a memorable night out on the town which one would you recommend, ie, one that is consistently good.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 10:41 AM
leida

blue note honey.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Merilee

Birdland on West 44th Street or Village Vanguard on 7th Avenue at 11th Street...Small's on West 10th is where you go to listen until the wee small hours of the morning.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 11:05 AM
jazzlover

The good ones seem to be in or near the Village. Blue Note seems to be at the top of most people's list - will defintely have to try it and maybe go to Small's afterwards - I've heard about it - supposed to be no place fancy but with great atmosphere and sounds. Thanks for the tips.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 11:37 AM
xxx

You must have Small's confused with somewhere else if you think it has good atmosphere. The place is a complete dive. The ceiling is falling down, there's some chairs and a bring your own drink policy. But the music is good if you can't the dive.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 11:49 AM
jazzlover

xxx, either that or my friends are lying to me...I could probably handle the place for an hour or so if the music is good though, so we'll see. Thanks

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 04:25 PM
alex

If you haven't tried any of the jazz clubs in NYC, then the Blue Note would be the one to go to first. It's known as the "premiere" club, and has some great well known performers headlining many times.

There a website, (bluenote.com maybe), although I can't remember the exact name.