Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Good hotel locations within Asheville - Indigo? Residences Biltmore? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/good-hotel-locations-within-asheville-indigo-residences-biltmore-879877/)

mat54 Feb 28th, 2011 08:51 AM

Good hotel locations within Asheville - Indigo? Residences Biltmore?

Will stay 3 nights in April. Have been looking at the Hotel Indigo because the price seems moderate and I think the location is good? Want to be walking distance to shops, restaurants and cafes for mornings and evenings, but will do some mountain day-trips.
I just came across the Residences at Biltmore and their studios especially seem quite well-priced. Is this property convenient walking distance to lots of attractions, shops and restaurants?
Other suggestions welcome!

happytrailstoyou Feb 28th, 2011 09:01 AM

The Indigo is conveniently located to the downtown, and the rooms are not decorated in the typical three-star manner. If you book a room there, insist on a room that does not face I-240.

Early Girl Eatery is a delightful place for breakfast.

HTTY

eeyorelvr Feb 28th, 2011 10:03 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Residences at Biltmore August of 2009, we walked to the Biltmore Village for lunch at the corner kitchen (absolutely loved this place) and a little shopping.

The Residences at Biltmore were apartments or something like that at one time. They have been converted, we had a one bedroom, very nice! The pool and fire pit area were beautiful, and were our view, we never looked outside and didn't see someone using one or the other. I have no experience with the Indigo, so I can't say this place is better, but we will be staying here again when we go back in July.

Littleman Feb 28th, 2011 10:38 AM

I second Corner Kitchen and Early Girl Eatery. The Residences is not downtown and it's too far to walk but there's plenty around Biltmore Village to keep you busy. Grand Bohemian is also a nice hotel.

http://www.bohemianhotelasheville.com/

Brian_in_Charlotte Feb 28th, 2011 11:27 AM

If walking to all that downtown has to offer what you're looking for, then choose Indigo over Residences at Biltmore.

mat54 Feb 28th, 2011 01:46 PM

Thanks for all your input. There is a lot of data out there but much of it is brief and some is contradictory which has made it difficult for me to form a picture in my mind's eye of the various districts. I've read at least one opinion that Biltmore Village is very small and doesn't have enough to keep one occupied for long. But I'm trying to figure out if what "downtown has to offer" is what I'm looking for.

Usually I'll pick charm, scenery and nature over lively and crowded, but as we're plannning on enjoying the mountains through the days, I think we'll appreciate being able to walk from our hotel in the evenings to browse shops and eat in bistros nearby. I can hear myself leaning towards staying downtown (although I'm not yet fully convinced).

cmcfong Feb 28th, 2011 02:04 PM

I think downtown will suit you better. Biltmore Village has some beautiful shops and several excellent restaurants. Downtown is very lively.

mat54 Feb 28th, 2011 02:20 PM

Leaning even more to downtown. But I'm not set on the Indigo. I don't need high end fancy, but I like modern and spacious and good value! In a good walkable location. I'm open to other suggestions.

cmcfong Feb 28th, 2011 02:56 PM

My favorite hotel in downtown is the Haywood Park. The rooms are quite large. www.haywoodpark.com

happytrailstoyou Feb 28th, 2011 05:55 PM

Haywood Park is attractive. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks, cmcfong.

HTTY

eeyorelvr Mar 1st, 2011 04:03 AM

Yes, I guess I should have been a little clearer. We walked to Biltmore Village from the Residences at Biltmore, in the Village there was some shops and resturants, but we did have to drive when we choose to go downtown. We actually went downtown on a Sunday and not many things were open, so when Mat54 mentioned shopping and dinning, downtown never entered my mind.

mat54 Mar 2nd, 2011 10:35 AM

More thanks. I am however thinking of veering a little away from my "walk to downtown" criteria. The idea of a full size suite with living room and kitchen is also appealing - sometimes after a busy tiring day of sightseeing it's nice to just stay in. To get a well-reviewed suite in my price range, it appears I'll have to go a little outside downtown. The Residences at Biltmore do sound nice. But I've just looked at Homewood Suites by Hilton (on Tunnel Road) - which seems to be OK location and where I can currently get a very good rate. This property also seems to get good reviews?

Also, are there any hotel areas to avoid (from a walking around point of view)?

marky2460 Mar 30th, 2011 06:35 AM

As a long time frequent visitor to Asheville,my advise wold to not concern yorself with walkability. I've never found an issue with traffic or parking. Most importantly nothing is very far away so a quick drive is no problem. You'll also need a car to visit the must see Blue Ridge Parkway and the Biltmore Estate.
However, I would definately stay away from the Residences at Biltmore. The walls are paper thin and you will not sleep well. I would opt for the Grand Bohemian in Biltmore Village, the Indigo or the Homewood Suites.
Have a great time in Asheville, you'll love it.