Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Good Guide Book - Oahu.....your opinions needed! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/good-guide-book-oahu-your-opinions-needed-164081/)

Lenore Feb 22nd, 2002 08:32 AM

Good Guide Book - Oahu.....your opinions needed!

We've read Fodor's Hawaii and Maui Revealed (which is the perfect guide book, but no Oahu version yet!) Is there any book that compares to Maui Revealed, but about Oahu? We aren't interested in hotel and restaurant listings/reviews so much as the activities and "must sees" for this island. Anybody got a winner?

Patty Feb 22nd, 2002 12:12 PM

Lenore,<BR>I decided to order Driving & Discovering Oahu online after my last attempt at trying to find it locally failed. It's supposed to arrive next week and I'll let you know if it's any good.

Lenore Feb 22nd, 2002 12:17 PM

Great! Thanks Patty and have a good weekend.

Linda Feb 23rd, 2002 02:32 AM

"Driving and Discovering Oahu" is an awesome guidebook. Do not do Oahu without it.

Patty Feb 28th, 2002 09:33 AM

Lenore,<BR>My book just arrived - I haven't had time to review it completely, but just glancing thru it looks like it has some very good, detailed information on different drives & things to do around the island. The book is divided into 4 basic sections - south shore (Waikiki/Honolulu and adjacent areas), windward, leeward, and north shore. Each section is then further subdivided into mini sections (2-4 pages of information) each one with a map pointing out the scenic views and places to stop with detailed driving directions. It also gives directions for using the bus in case you're not planning to rent a car. It does not contain hotel, restaurant, or activity vendor information but I have my Frommer's guide for that. I think it's definitely worth the investment.

Sarah Feb 28th, 2002 10:11 AM

I lived on Oahu and I have yet to find a great guide book. I would not say this of the other islands. I think what you need to do with Oahu because there is just so much to see and do is to get several books. <BR><BR>Books I have used but did not find comprehensive. Driving and discovering Oahu nice photos and will give you a visual heads up on what you might be missing if you stick to traditional landscapes/sites. Nevertheless we found important contact info missing for landmarks, this was unusual for a good guidebook. <BR><BR><BR>Lonely Planet, I found false historical information, sorry I can't be more specific. This made me drop the guide entirely. I was a longtime fan of Lonely Planet guide books.<BR><BR>Fodor's sorry I have never found these guides helpful outside the hotel suggestions you can find on web. I do believe in a cross reference look at any destination so I always peer back to see what they are currently offering readers. They really need to learn a lesson or two from Andrew Dougherty.<BR><BR>Very helpful to get a book on historical info, knowing odds and ends about the Hawaiians will put many sites in context and enrich your visit. One book I suggest is a “A Concise History of the Hawaiian Islands” by Phil Barnes, Dr. Phil Barnes. Just gave this to my 7th grade nephew and he is doing fine with it (school report)(Amazon). It is only 85 pages long.<BR><BR>You can go to mele.com and get historical videos and books. I recently ordered, the Hawaiians (comprehensive (video) look at the ancient culture), Waikiki in the wake of dreams (also on PBS). There is also a video on the Monarchy you can order through PBS that I have given and friends have told me it is great account of end of independent Hawaii. I imagine that because of it's stint on PBS at least here in NYC this documentary is the most professional production.<BR><BR>I know this all sounds like over kill but many of the sites that you will come across may if you are lucky have a descriptive plack, very helpful to have someone fill you in on what you are seeing. It will turn a drive along side seeming ordinary pineapple fields with unusal trees forming a circle to you identiflying the location of the ancient alii birthing grounds. That is what I was able to do anyway. :):)local caby confirmed my guess.<BR>

Sarah Feb 28th, 2002 10:21 AM

Entertainment videos that are good sources of historical info on Hawaii, "Hawaii" with Julee Andrews begining drags but it picks up once they land that darn missionary boat.<BR>The second and my favorite is the "Picture Bride" this movie really gives you an understanding of how many Japanese settled the islands. You will enjoy this movie regardless of going to Hawaii. Heads up it is in your foreign films section and has subtitles.<BR><BR>A number of very significant Hawaii and Japanese based cultural organizations worked on this movie and it shows, ENJOY!!!

Lenore Feb 28th, 2002 10:34 AM

Thanks everyone for your help. I got impatient and decided to buy the Driving & Discovering Oahu book. Problem was I couldn't find it anywhere! So I e-mailed the author and he's sending it directly to me....and w/o shipping costs. Who knew?