Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Good Food on Maui without 5-month Reservations? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/good-food-on-maui-without-5-month-reservations-1702332/)

aliced Oct 3rd, 2021 09:11 AM

Good Food on Maui without 5-month Reservations?

We'll have five nights on Maui (Lahaina) after T'giving. Mama's Fish House already reserved five months out for D, and 3 for L. Ok. Marked my calendar to try Merriman's at end of this month for two-month out resv schedule, and for Fleetwood's one-month out. But we're not going to Maui for the food. All you guys who know Maui well speak loudly please as to your favorites. We'll go down to Wailea one day, and of course over to Hana, but other than that don't want to be driving all around the island probably. But if there is really a little off the beaten path, we tend to love those places. Thanks for sharing!! On TA, found recm for: Gazebo, Cool Cat, Kimo's, Mala Ocean Tavern, Monkeypad, but havent yet researched these nor have I looked at TA in years.

suze Oct 3rd, 2021 02:23 PM

But we're not going to Maui for the food.
nor have I looked at TA in years.

Really?? I just eat casually when I'm in Hawaii (Oahu is my usual). I've been to Lahaina as well but too long ago to be up to date. I don't do the restaurant thing but eat beautifully and fresh from ABC Stores, farmers markets, delis, bakeries, plate lunch, sandwich shops, to-go, etc.

Jean Oct 4th, 2021 08:02 AM

We had Thanksgiving dinner at Kimo's... on our honeymoon 43 years ago! It has a gorgeous view at sunset, so I'd go for an early-ish dinner at that time of year. As far as I can tell on Open Table, reservations at Kimo's are available in the days after T'giving.

I use Open Table a lot when I need multiple reservations in a tourist-popular area. It's easy to see availability, read reviews and organize confirmations. Most restaurants don't put every reservation slot on Open Table, so I sometimes call a restaurant directly. (I don't cook on vacation!)

Have a great time!

MichelleY Oct 4th, 2021 12:43 PM

We went to Mala a number of years ago and loved it!

In addition to Open Table, I call for reservations and often have luck.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...6705c1853.jpeg

suze Oct 4th, 2021 02:33 PM

Officially jealous :-)

tom42 Oct 6th, 2021 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by aliced (Post 17292206)
We'll have five nights on Maui (Lahaina) after T'giving. Mama's Fish House already reserved five months out for D, and 3 for L. Ok. Marked my calendar to try Merriman's at end of this month for two-month out resv schedule, and for Fleetwood's one-month out. But we're not going to Maui for the food. All you guys who know Maui well speak loudly please as to your favorites. We'll go down to Wailea one day, and of course over to Hana, but other than that don't want to be driving all around the island probably. But if there is really a little off the beaten path, we tend to love those places. Thanks for sharing!! On TA, found recm for: Gazebo, Cool Cat, Kimo's, Mala Ocean Tavern, Monkeypad, but havent yet researched these nor have I looked at TA in years.

We went to Merriman's twice when we were in Maui in Sept 2019 and didn't make reservations until we arrived on Maui. By the way, we loved Merriman's. The food was excellent. I highly recommend the following appetizer "Shrimp and pork chow fun noodles. Local-Style with Ginger, Garlic, Green Onions, Yuzu." It was so good and I just checked and it still is on the menu.

aliced Oct 6th, 2021 09:35 PM

Tom, thanks for Merrimans recommendation -- calendared end of this month for late November reservation. And less than 3 mi from location of our condo -- perfect!

sunbum1944 Oct 11th, 2021 06:19 PM

We usually go to Merrimans for happy hour. There is a patio with great views and sometimes music. Buy different appetizers and share with the table.

Agree with Size on ABC stores- lots of choices from hot food to salads.

Enjoy Kimo's - nice views.

I'll try to think of a few more!

sf7307 Oct 22nd, 2021 08:41 AM

We had a great meal at Pacific’O in Lahaina in August. We also like Sale Pepe for casual pizza/ Italian. Monkeypod is good and fun - they are not taking reservations though.

aliced Oct 23rd, 2021 05:32 AM

Thanks, added these three to check out upon arrival. Next wknd trying for Fleetwoods and Merrimans (one month out resv) too -- don't think we'll starve!

aliced Dec 5th, 2021 11:26 AM

MichelleY, thank you so much for mentioning Mala Ocean Tavern. Made reservation there for night of arrival. Dinner was unusual and outstanding, with my beet salad served in a treasure box. But then what they did with our seafood was fabulous, mahi mahi was served amidst a wide range of vegetables and veg sauce, and everything was deliciously juicy. Next night we reserved at Fleetwoods, and being a Monday night who showed up with his family -- Mick of course -- made a very good meal even more fun. Their crab-corn fritters appy were six in number and were large enough to be my entree. But went ahead and ordered their shrimp scampi entree. Food very good, but not over the top as was at Mala. So of course we went back to Mala for breakfast where I had Eggs Benedict w spinach, tomato, mushrooms and avocado, all fresh of course. My DH ordered their Monte Cristo which was alot of ham & cheese quickly deep friend in a humongous Hawaiian sweetbread, w fresh fruit jam, half of which we took home. Then of course had to return for 2-4 Happy Hour, sitting outside along the water, for Coconut Shrimp (no yucky batter, just coconut, Lamb Tsziki on Pitas, and a pizza w sausage, pesto, which comprised dinner for us that night of course. Superb. We passed on Mamas (too fardrive from Kahana) and also on Merrimans (bit up the road, pricey and required deposit for making resv), and had great burgers at Maui Brewing, just on the corner in Kahana, when we didnt want to drive back into the historic, charming and beautiful Lahaina. Apparentlyt Mala's sister restaurant is downtown which name escapes me (too much sun? too much rum?). Weather past week was fabulous, we flew out on Day 1 of heavy rain but no snow forecasted for this wknd! Thanks Fodorites for your usual excellent advice.

MichelleY Dec 5th, 2021 08:39 PM

Thanks for reporting back! Due for another trip to Maui! Yum!

yestravel Dec 6th, 2021 03:07 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll be in Maui in January and looking for restuarants beyond the ones mentioned in this thread.

MichelleY Dec 6th, 2021 04:07 PM

Hali’imaile General Store

https://hgsmaui.com

We stopped for lunch and enjoyed it very much.