Good food near Omni Berkshire?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2008, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A group of us are headed to NYC late in the spring and are staying at the Omni Berkshire Place.

Any suggestions of walking distance (6 blocks) breakfast, lunch and dinners? Any thing! Nice dinners, cheap dinners, cheap breakfasts, hole in the wall eateries, coffee shops, ethnic foods.

Your suggestions would be really appreciated.

We have reservations for museums and some siteseeing, so we'll probably do lunch on the street.

Also, any nice casual bars or clubs. We are all over 50 and very casual. Thank you!!
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 09:03 AM

My favorite near the Omni Berkshire is Fresco by Scotto. It would qualify as a "nice" dinner and you will want a reservation. They also have a place next door called "Fresco to Go" that is self-serve and perfect for picking up breakfast or lunch.

That neighborhood also has many nice sushi restaurants. I can't recommend one in particular, but you might ask at the hotel.

Another, not too far, breakfast choice might be Ess a Bagel on Lexington.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 09:27 AM

That area tends to be somewhat more upscale in terms of dining, other than several very casuale places ofice workers use for lunch.

I wouldn't limit yourselves to just that area - esp in the late spring. I would plan on exploring and doing a couple of dinners in cuter, more residential areas (upper west side, village, lower east side) that have a lot of sidewalk cafes (great for people watching) and places at all price points. Then take a nice long walk - or a quick subway ride - back to the hotel.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

NYtraveler, Any suggestions for places that are within a mile walk that you like particularly? We love small bistros (people watching places are fun) and quick places to eat, but also love all types of ethnic foods.

We LOVE red wine and will probobly pack a few bottles for the hotel, but any favorite place to sit and have a nice glass and people watch?

We are REALLY excited about going to NYC!!! It's been on my list of places to go for years.

Is Tavern on the Green worth it for one of our nights? Thanks one and all for the help!!!
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 05:22 PM

Tavern on the Green NO. Tourist trap.

Ess-A-Bagel for breakfast. 2 ways for you to do some restaurant research
menupages.com The hotel is in the east 50's so start there and look at coffee shops and diners.

Go to maps.google.com and map the hotel and then use the "search nearby" for restaurants or bars or whatever. Go to Campbell Apartments (inside Grand Central Terminal) for drinks. Jubilee is a nice French bistro specializing in mussels that's not too far (you really have to head east to get more of a neighborhood feel).
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

I love mussels! Thanks so much for all this info. Any good tapas restaurants near by?

Old Nov 20th, 2008, 04:17 AM

This Spanish place is nearby:

http://www.solerany.com/

Jubilee is, indeed, a very popular French place "famous" for mussels prepared in several ways. But I caution you to make reservations in advance if you plan to visit. Another cute place along the same lines is Deux Amis, on East 51st between First and Second Avenues.

For a nice breakfast or lunch in the same area, you might check out Cafe Ze on 52nd east of First. This is a beautiful new place owned by a charismatic neighborhood florist; the pastries are divine!
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 05:15 AM

Please don't go to Tavern on the Green. For the same money, you can have a memorable meal in any number of NYC restaurants. The lights are pretty, but the restaurant is horrible.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Doug. I won't be going to Tavern on the Green.

We will be going to the MOMA, and the Guggenheim (sp?). We usually do the museums first thing in the morning and then EAT. Any suggestions for a cheap, but good lunch near either museum? Sometimes there are great cafes at the museums themselves. Thanks again!!!
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 11:49 AM
mp

The cafeteria in MOMA, called Cafe 2 is run by Danny Meyer's company of Union Square Cafe fame - the food is actually pretty good. You order at the counter and it is brought to you.

There is also a little cafe called terrace 5, on the 5th floor. which is good too

The restaurant in MOMA, called The Modern is excellent, but very expensive. The Bar at The Modern is pricey, and gets an energetic, upscale crowd.

I've never known anyone to actually eat in the Guggenheim. There is a cafe there.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 02:08 PM

If you dare leave the neighborhood, there are a few good places for mussels with fries, moules frites

Bruxelles

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...um=1&ct=result

Jules on St Marks
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Yum
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 02:35 PM

Something fun for lunch is the Tea Salon at Takashimaya. Delicious bento boxes, sandwiches, salads.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Yum....! keep the suggestions coming! We have about 6 months to put all together!