good food in lake city /durango

Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

good food in lake city /durango

we are heading to CO for a week of hiking, camping and of course the durango- silverton train trip! any suggestions for good food in lake city or durango. we are open to all types of food but no chain restaurants. any thoughts? thanks lynda
Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:29 AM

I don't know if it is a chain or not, but we love Serious Texas BBQ in Durango. There are two of them in town, one on the north end and one on the south end of 550.

There is also a really good breakfast place on 550, right in the middle of town. It is on the west side of the road, just north of the bridge that crosses the Animas River. It is an old house that has been renovated to a tea room kind of place. Great scones, muffins and coffee. We didn't have time to sit down and eat, but the hot breakfasts smelled delicious.
Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:13 AM

food in Lake City?! Better just hope that something's open--it's a very tiny town.
Aug 3rd, 2005, 10:27 AM
Tess

We ate at Steam City Brewery last week in Durango. The food was good but the service was bad--wouldn't recommend it.

Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:22 AM

Lyn,

Southwest of Lake City there is a small family run Italian restaurant called A and A Ranches. My Wife and I ate there 3 years ago and it was the best Italian food we have had in Colorado hands down. It is 16 miles from Lake City in the old mining town of Sherman and has a good road from Lake City to it. If you have a SUV or high ground clearance vehicle you could, Coming frim Durango, reach Sherman/Lake City via Cinammon Pass. It is a dirt/jeep road but not of great difficulty and would provide an very nice alternative to the long drive around. I found the website for further information
http://www.coloradodirectory.com/anaranch/

Beanman
Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

thanks all for the ideas, the italian place, Beanman, sounds like a must and my husband will be very pleased to take his little toyota 4 wheel drive pickup down any rough road possible!!! we love italian and BBQ thanks...lynda