Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Good DC Restaurants--advice? best you've been to?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 06:29 AM
Jackie

I'm looking for a good DC restaurant this weekend--I live in NoVA and it was pretty recently that I moved here, so I was hoping to find a good place to eat more toward DC or the Bethesda area. Any advice on good restaurants in Bethesda, or DC? I am a vegetarian, and I am interested in finding a good Mexican restaurant (or TexMex), but have had little luck finding people who know of some places that would be good. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

geocities.com/j_goyette/t.html

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 06:51 AM
Joe

My favorite Mexican/Latin restaurant is Lauriol Plaza. It's on 18th St NW, at the intersection of T st.

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 07:04 AM
JG

Joe: do you need a reservation there? i am thinking of going there for new years eve.

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 07:16 AM
Tony

Jackie,

You might want to try the Red Sage. It is located in downtown DC.

They have an upstairs cafe that serves excellent food for a reasonable price (I have been there twice).

They ALSO have a downstairs restaurant that I have heard is top-notch. It is a bit expensive...but it may be the perfect Mexican/Southwest restaurant if you are splurging for New Years.

-Tony

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 07:23 AM
Joe

Jackie, no you do not need a reservation.

I will second the reccomendation for the Red Sage. I'm not sure if you will need reservations for this place or not.

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 05:13 PM
Edye

You definitely need a reservation at Red Sage and though it may not be quite as happening as it was 5 years ago, it is still a great SW restaurant. In Bethesda, a tex-mex casual place is Rio Grande Cafe, no res and a long wait at peak times, but a lot of fun and reasonable good food. Ten Penh in downtown DC is the new hot spot with Asian fusion cuisine, and a beautiful restaurant indeed. Reservations are a must.

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 08:42 PM
jan

Woah!! Steer clear of Red Sage. Although the upstairs cafe may be 'O.K.", the dining room is an awful rip-off. My last meal there, for an anniversary dinner yeilded an expensive, salty veal chop, served by a less than helpful waitron!!Yuck! Really the worst meal I'd had in the last few years. Stick to another recommendation, Lauriol Plaza,a great place! Old Ebbitt's Grill is a good place too, with a varied menu & pretty decent food.

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 05:39 AM
Jackie

i've seen this rio grande cafe in Reston--is that the same place (i'm assuming it is). also, ive been to on the border, a restaurant i haven't seen in the midwest, but i've seen a couple out here. is that a national chain or a local chain? it was good, at least what i had (portabella mushroom fajitas). thanks for the mexican restaurants so far. also, where are all of these places in bethesda? i've not been to bethesda yet, so i'm interested in finding out. thanks!

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 10:10 AM
Kimmy

The Steamship at 818 18th St, NW is quite good.

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 12:25 PM
Kristen

Another thumbs up for Rio Grande Cafe. I love tex-mex, and this is my favorite over all the others in the area. There are restaurants in Reston Town Center, Arlington - accross from Ballston metro, Bethesda - on Fairmont ave. in the restaurant area & in Gaithersburg. Definitely check it out!

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 08:32 PM
wendy

I had the best carne asada at the Austin Grill this week. It's on 7th and E.
The absolute best restaurant in DC, however, is Luigino, somewhere near the metro center, can never remember the street. That is the best Italian food anywhere. Such delicate flavors!

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 10:37 AM
Ralph

Do you need reservations for the Steamship? Price range? Does it have an excellent wine list? What is the attire?

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 10:38 AM
Snidely

The Stemship is a wonderful place to eat. Great food, Wonderful atmosphere, however the owner is rather rude.

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 11:29 AM
Dave

Jackie,

The Post has an article discussing dining options for New Years Eve. Here is the URL:

http://yp.washingtonpost.com/E/E/WASDC/0002/35/54/

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 07:30 AM
Jackie (again)

does that Austin Grill have any vegetarian options you know of? Also, I've heard of South Austin Grill--basically the same?

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 06:29 PM
Alan Greenspan

I recommend the Palm. Tell em I sent you and enjoy!

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 05:31 AM
leo

A new resturant Brasierre Monte Carlo opened up last summer on the corner of Cordell and Norfolk across from that overpriced Italian place. Small, but excellent Provence cusine and reasonable. Give it a try!