Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Good Cheap eat's in Kauai and suggestions on where to splurge for a special dinner! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/good-cheap-eats-in-kauai-and-suggestions-on-where-to-splurge-for-a-special-dinner-201593/)

joe Apr 17th, 2002 05:27 PM

Good Cheap eat's in Kauai and suggestions on where to splurge for a special dinner!

Heading to Kauai in 3 weeks and on a budget. Want to know great places to eat that don't cost an arm and a leg! Also want to know of someplace worthy of splurging for a special meal out! I hope Kal answers in with some of his ideas!

Kerry Apr 17th, 2002 05:50 PM

Don't worry - there's about 7 Subway's on Kauai, so if you have a sub for lunch you can splurge on dinner!

e Apr 17th, 2002 06:15 PM

Bubba's Burgers

crys Apr 17th, 2002 07:24 PM

Duane's Ono Burgers for cheap eats. A Pacific Cafe for splurge.

Renee Apr 17th, 2002 08:53 PM

Poke from the Safeway - fresh and great.

Tina Apr 18th, 2002 02:35 AM

For a splurge dinner that won't completely drain your wallet I'd go to the Bullshed. For breakfast or lunch try Jolly Rogers near the shopping center in Kapaa.

xxx Apr 18th, 2002 03:58 AM

lom salmon of fresh tuna from any grocer on the right day

vague Apr 18th, 2002 05:43 AM

On the way to Poipu there is a little town (name?) with a small greasy spoon looking place (on the left before gas station) that serves the best little wrap sandwiches. Wish would would've found it on day 1 instead of day 6.

Dina Apr 18th, 2002 05:46 AM

I second the vote for Pacific Cafe for the splurge. Check out Margaritas just down the street for cheaper fare. Real cheap, Subway.

AMG Apr 18th, 2002 06:21 AM

For some inexpensive meals (not fast food) I would suggest Zelo's in Hanalei, Roadrunner Cafe and the Kilauea Bakery & Pau Hana Pizza in Kilauea, and Brick Oven Pizza in Poipu. For a splurge, I would agree on A Pacific Cafe in Kapaa. We also really enjoyed Lemongrass Grill, also in Kapaa.

kal Apr 18th, 2002 06:41 AM

Aloha bragh,<BR>All good suggestions. I heard from my Kauai buddy Margarita's closed down shortly after we came home in Jan. No word why or if it will reopen. Too bad. Good fish tacos and Margies.<BR><BR>While we loved Lemongrass, just about a block away is Coconuts. It's prob our new favorite rest. on Kauai. Could be a splurge restaurant if it was on the ocean.<BR><BR>The obvious splurge is The Beach House w/ a sunset table.<BR>Roy's and Keoki's too.<BR><BR>Cheap and local is Hamura's Saimin Stand in Lihue. Try and find it! It's worth the search.<BR>Rob's Good Time Grill also in Lihue.<BR><BR>Taco Tuesday's at Duke's at the Marriott. Fish tacos and draft beer $2 a piece.<BR><BR>I'm salivating for a Brick Oven Pie right now. I keep forgetting to send them my Calif License plate so they can put it on the rafters with all the others.<BR><BR>Also on the west side, The Waimea Brew Co. has some good inexpensive grub.<BR><BR>Breakfast at Kiahuna Joe's at the Kihuna Golf Course is hard to beat, especially if you get a seat on the porch.<BR>A triple Bubba's burger w/ chili fries and onions in Hanalei after a trek up the Napali! ohhhhh my!<BR><BR>Bourbon St Cafe in the P'ville shopping ctr. <BR>And yes, Subway, McD's, BK, Pizza Hut and some nice little locally owned coffee shops/Diners all over the island. Explore and give us a trip report.<BR><BR>I'm sure there's more but this work thang has been getting in the way lately. Ya play ya pay!<BR>Drop me a line if you'd like.<BR>Mahalo,<BR>Kal<BR>253....

ddd Apr 18th, 2002 07:12 AM

Tomkats Grill is relatively inexpensive and good, as is Zelo's. Definitely splurge on the Beach House for a sunset dinner. Also, going to the deli counter at a market is still your best bet.

AMG Apr 18th, 2002 07:47 AM

We missed Roy's in Kauai but we are going to the new Roy's in Chicago in 2 weeks. It was already named one of the 20 best new restaurants by Chicago magazine. I wish I was in Kauai right now!

Food Lover Apr 18th, 2002 07:54 AM

Kilauea Bakery & Pau Hana Pizza!!! As much as I enjoyed the Beach House Restaurant, would you believe THIS is my favorite place to eat in all of Kauai?! I'm salivating at just the thought of it. That place is such a treat to go to. We always buy more than we can eat and take the rest back to our condo!

AMG Apr 18th, 2002 08:18 AM

Plus, there is that cool little candle factory behind Kilauea Bakery where you can buy lots of nice inexpensive gifts.

bb Apr 22nd, 2002 11:17 PM

Don't miss Brick Oven Pizza in Kaleheo!!Best pizza I have ever had, hands down. Also Keoki's Paradise in Poipu Shopping Center has great bar menu reasonably priced. <BR>For a splurge, Beach House can't be beat for the atmosphere. Right on the water and a gorgeous sunset view. No restaurant on the island is better situated for that Hawaiian sunset and the food is very good also. Everything is a la carte so keep that in mind. I would save this for your last evening and you will leave with a beautiful memory of Kauai.

Alissa Apr 24th, 2002 08:50 AM

Pizzetta's in a small town called Koloa. I was shocked at how great the food was! Its on the way to Poipu.

top Apr 24th, 2002 03:23 PM

topping

M Apr 25th, 2002 11:21 AM

Our favourite budget restaurants on Kauai were the Barbecue Inn (same little street as Haimuras(sp.) Saimin in Lihue) and the Green Garden in Hanapepe. Good meals at both these places, lots of variety, and desserts for $1 - $3 (especially important if you have demanding children).

ochase Nov 17th, 2010 09:45 PM

I recommend Mermaids, in Kapaa for their Ahi Wrap or Tropical Tacos...Harvest Market, in Hanalei for their salad bar and the Kilauea Town Market & Deli (on the way to the Kilauea Lighthouse) for their generous sandwiches and fresh local fruit. For a fancier meal we had a great experience at the Eastside Grill and the live music was fantastic .... a guy was playing the mandoline with a bow. For dessert the papaya stuffed with bread pudding was unique and over the top delicious.