Good B&Bs in/near Yosemite

May 6th, 2002, 12:38 PM
John R

Good B&Bs in/near Yosemite

My wife and I will be spending the first few days in July visiting Yosemite NP. We enjoy B&Bs and would be grateful to anyone who can recommend a good one in or near the park.

Also, I've been unable to find a really good web review site for B&Bs... the standard ones seem to be little more than links to the specific B&B sites... helpful in its own way but hardly a resource for unbiased reviews. Any thoughts?

Thanks, John R.

May 6th, 2002, 01:21 PM
kam

No B&Bs in the Park. All reservations controlled by one number 209-252-4848. Most likely all are fully booked by now. In Oakhurst there is Chateau du Sureau with the wonderful Erna's Elderberry House Restaurant. It's a very upscale inn with 9 rooms. There's also an old inn in Groveland, but that's a fair hike away. Mariposa is another town you might consider. go to www.innaccess.com for reviews and click on Yosemite. Good luck.

May 6th, 2002, 01:31 PM
xx

In Fish Camp there is Apple Tree Inn Narrow Gauge Inn. These are both outside the park near the south entrance. Driving time to the valley is about an hour. Much shorter distance to the giant sequoias and Wawona.

May 6th, 2002, 04:28 PM
crys

Try Yosemite Falls B&B. I thought it was in the park--one certainly had to go through the park to get there. It's up high, near Yosemite Falls (surprise, surprise). Gary & Mary, who run it, are a riot and make sure that everyone has a good time. The accomodations are terrific, too, Nice rooms, and a bar where everyone gathers at cocktail hour. I don't have the contact info on hand, but I seem to remember booking through a website, so search Yosemite Falls on google.

May 6th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Judy

Hi John, we are staying at the Narrow Gauge Inn(26 rooms)in June. It looks very nice and has a very good restaurant(according to reviews). I decided to stay there instead of the Apple Tree Inn because they had a restaurant on site. There are some B&B's in Oakhurst, the Verandah looked nice too.
FYI, Judy

May 7th, 2002, 04:52 AM
JohnR.

Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone have an opinion about how much we would miss out on by not staying IN the park? I get the impression that things are pretty spread out anyways so even if you are in the park you still have to drive, right?

May 7th, 2002, 10:15 AM
hopkins

I hear that yosemite is very crowded in the summer and that driving could be a big traffic jam. So, waking up in the park might be quite an advantage instead of fighting the traffic in

May 7th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Suzie

The last time I was in Yosemite during July was 2000. Last summer the number of visitors was down from the year before. In 2000 we were in the valley on a week day and we were surprised that there were not more people. Seeing the sights was just fine and there were no traffic issues at all. We drove in through Tioga Pass, through the valley and down to the South entrance. There was no bothersome traffic, no backups, no jams. There was one moterhome but there are turnouts for them so they take advantage of that and driving slowly allows the driver to see some of the beautiful scenery now and then. The park is huge so driving or taking buses will be required to see the different parts. The valley is only a part of what's available to see. El Cap and Half Dome can be seen from various locations as well as the valley. Yosemite Falls and Bridalveil Falls will be slower durng July. Go to Glacier point for Nevada Falls and Vernal Falls. Tioga Pass road has some really great scenery that includes Tulomne Meadows. Have fun!

Here's a good website for yosemite http://www.nps.gov/yose/trip/places.htm

May 7th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Lenore

We stayed at Yosemite Falls Bed & Breakfast about 3 years ago and absolutely loved it there. The owners (Gary and Mary) are the friendliest people you'll ever meet. Their B&B (located in Yosemite West, which is a sub-division right in the park) is beautifully decorated, neat and clean. They serve a full, yummy, hot breakfast each morning and cocktails and popcorn each evening. While they are lcated inside the park, it's still a good half hour drive down to the valley. They are close to the Glacier Point turn off and relatively close to the Mariposa Groves. I will definitely stay here again next time we visit Yosemite. Call TODAY if you expect to get reservations! I think their web address is www.yosemitefalls.com. You won't be disappointed!!!