Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort, Lake Placid, NY Info needed......

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there..is anyone familiar with this resort on Mirror Lake in the Lake Placid, NY area?? If so, what rooms or suites are the best for location, lake views, families etc.?? Traveling to this area next summer with our three little kids. THANKS!!
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

anyone??
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:20 PM

IF you don't get any replies, call the hotel directly [not the 800 number] and tell them what you are looking for [room with lake view; 3 kids] and ask them to help you pick a room.

If I am correct, this is a Best Western and it is at the beginning of the Mirror Lake.

Hopefully Ethel will see this as she lives in the area, I believe.

Debi
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 06:07 AM

Thanks Debi for forwarding this---I missed it.

The hotel is in a great location--right on Main St so it's very close to the shops and restaurants. There is, also, a trolley stop out front. The hotel is right on the lake--if you get a room on the lake side you can't go wrong with the view. The rooms on the Street side look out over the parking lot and Main St. It also has a private beach.

I used to spend a lot of time in this hotel as a kid as I was close with the owner's daughters. I don't think you'd be unhappy with this hotel. The location and view are wonderful!
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ethel- Thanks a ton, can you tell me which suites are good?? I am looking at a few...with seperate bedroom. Thanks, Carrie.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 04:08 PM

Hi Carrie--I'm not familiar with the rooms but let me see what I can find out. My sister used to work for them. Actually, my grandfather used to manage the front desk but I'll ask my sister first.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Oh Ethel, that would be wonderful...If I remember correctly we were looking at the Morningside and Seneca Suites but wanted one with a balcony, seperate bedroom and nice views of the lake..there is one more that I can't think of the name that was good. It will come to me. We have three little ones so want both, lakeview AND seperate bedroom for privacy. THANKS all, and Ethel, for sure.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

I tried the front desk however, they were not the most helpful, to say the least. OK, and the suites with what look to be in the best location, near the water with the lakeside views, but not just the hotel rooms on the beach, are the Skylight, Seneca and Morningside. Am I correct with this?? We want Lakefront but need a seperate bedroom, does this make sense? Thanks again Ethel.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 05:42 AM

Carrie,

Here is what I found out from my sister:

"Morningside is rm 401 off the mall, the biggest suite and really nice one room with a king sized bed, another with 2 queens and a pull out chair *twin size* also with a kitchen. They also have the condos over main street that are large as well, upstairs lofts with 2 queen beds, downstairs room with one queen, 2 bathrooms and kitchen and living area with a pull out couch.…skylight I know has changed since I was in there--before it was just a suite with king bed, fireplace and pull out couch, but the tub was amazing, and now I think it’s a king bed with another small room *closets size* that has a twin trundle bed, used to be suite 522. it’s nice, also has a fireplace and a big bathtub.

They’re all lakeside except the condos…Seneca, is the smallest one…and I never cared for it much, it’s alllllllllllll the way down the hall and there’s a big tree in front of half the view. Skylight is on the 5th floor which has a nice view, and Morningside is on the 4th floor, also with a great view. I’d say it’s a toss up between the two. I’d go for Morningside, but I’d definitely book now, as that one goes really fast."

I hope that helps. I would agree that it's important to book now, especially depending on what time you plan on going. If it's during IronMan week you will most likely not be able to get a decent room. That is some time during the middle/end of July.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 06:05 AM

She, also, said Algonquin and Cloudsplitter are nice lakeview 2 room suites. Algonquin has fantastic views.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Ethel for ALL of your help, it has been wonderful, and we really appreciate it a ton. We are now leaning back towards the Lakefront deluxe family suites now because of the large price difference between the suites and these. Not positive yet but the difference is like $200/night..when all we really are doing is sleeping in the room.