Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Going to Waikiki with senior citizen - need ideas for things to do off the beaten track

Going to Waikiki with senior citizen - need ideas for things to do off the beaten track

Nov 6th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

I'm going with my 93 year old father - he loves Waikiki and has been there many times - this time his mobility will not permit him to do what he loves to do - which is just walk the beach - so I'm looking for other ideas. He's been there many times but there are probably things we've overlooked. Here are some things on my list - more ideas would be appreciated - FYI we're going at the end of this month and staying at the Breakers on Beachwalk.

- we've done the drive around the island a few times - not sure the Dole Plantation is for him - any other suggestions for that tour? Have never driven up the west coast - is that an option?
- we've never taken a boat cruise - that could be good - he might even snorkel a bit - any suggestions as to which cruise operator?
- I'm not sure he's ever gone to Pearl Harbour - is it too tiring for a senior with mobility issues? (he's a Canadian WWII veteran - is there a veteran's entrance/tour?)
- going to other islands isn't an option - he loves Oahu - although I would love to take a day trip to the Big Island - is it too exhausting? Are the volcanoes active right now?

Any suggestions would be welcome - thanks!

Nov 6th, 2005, 01:10 PM

As a veteran, the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Punchbowl might be a special experience for him.

http://www.cem.va.gov/nchp/nmcp.htm

It's been more than 10 years since I've been to Pearl Harbor and I was a teen at the time so my memory might be skewed, but I don't remember it being too tiring.
Nov 6th, 2005, 06:07 PM

When my elderly mother came to Oahu to visit, I rented a wheelchair for her.

She was somewhat ambulatory, but could only walk short distances. So she was in a wheelchair 90% of the time.

We (my daughter, son-in-law, and I) took turns pushing her around as she couldn't use an electric wheelchair.

We had no problems getting around Waikiki.

The Kuhio & Queen's Surf beaches have had a lot of landscaping that was finished a couple years ago. There are several shaded benches and tables where one could enjoy the beach. This area is from The Sheraton Moana Surfrider to the Honolulu Zoo.

If you go to Arizona Memorial, the ferry attendants will assist getting your dad on and off the ferry.

Here is Arizona Memorial website. You can ask them about arrangements so your dad would not have to stand in line. There is a 'contact us' on the website.

http://www.nps.gov/usar/index.htm

You can try these sites to rent wheelchairs.

www.wheelchairshawaii.com or www.crnewton.com Free delivery

www.accessscooters.com

www.dandmsales.com

www.himed.cc Free delivery islandwide

www.betterhomeappliances.com

AAA Discount Wheelchairs & Scooters (808)922-7400

Ace Medical (808)678-3600

Big Mountain Rentals (808)926-1644 This one is on Kuhio Ave in Waikiki.

Sometimes insurance will cover the cost of rentals. Check with her insurance company.

Also, maybe he can borrow or rent one at home. I think private owned wheelchairs can go on flights just as strollers can.

If none of the above work out, I rented a regular wheelchair for my mother at Apria Healthcare (808)485-0178. But this was in Pearl City where I lived at the time.

808 numbers are not toll free.

There are some nice restaurants in the area of the Breakers with nice views of the ocean. Shorebirds in Outrigger Reef on the Beach is one.

Mt. Tantalus Drive has a very accessable State Wayside that overlooks the entire city. It is Pu'u Ualaka'a State Wayside. If you go there, when you get into the park, you'll see a parking area with a lot of antennas and satellite dishes. Take the road to the left that goes to another parking area near the lookout.

MerryTravel already suggested the National Cemetery of the Pacific. It is right below Mt. Tantalus.

Waikiki Aquarium is nice and needs very little walking. But it is about 1 1/2 miles or so from Breakers.

Here is a thread with lots to do on Oahu. You may not be able to do most things, but the websites may help.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34696831

As far as a driving tour, the Leeward Coast has some nice beaches, but the drive is not as scenic as the Southern & Windward Coast.

Byodo-In Temple (Valley of the Temples) is scenic and doesn't require much walking.

Lots of shows in Waikiki to choose from. Creation: A Polynesian Journey, Society of Seven, Blue Hawaii - The Show (Elvis), Magic of Polynesia, Royal Hawaiian Luau (Monday nights), Don Ho, Hilton Hawaiian Village on Friday nights has a Polynesian show with fireworks after the show.

You mentioned a boat cruise. A dinner cruise or sunset cruise may be OK. Even a catamaran cruise like the one in front of Outrigger Waikiki may be OK.

Nov 6th, 2005, 08:56 PM

Elizabeth S: Do you know they make a beach wheel chair now? I rented one for my step-dad when we went to Perdido a couple years ago. Kind of like those big wheeled water cycles.

Belle
Nov 7th, 2005, 07:34 AM

The Breakers is a wonderful hotel (sorry I'm no help, sounds like you know more about Waikiki than I do... but will top this post for you)
Nov 7th, 2005, 07:52 AM

For Beach Access wheelchairs go to:
http://www.co.honolulu.hi.us/parks/programs/beach/
It's run by the parks.
Nov 7th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions - Dusty - you went above and beyond the call of duty!

I'm glad you mentioned the cat tours in front of the Outrigger - I looked at those last time we were there and thought they could be fun.

I talked to my dad yesterday and he told me he's in "training" - he walked a mile (uphill) - so maybe my concern is misplaced and I'll be eating his dust!

Suze - dad LOVES the Breakers - and the Hawaiiana too (next door) - it's like going home for him.
Nov 7th, 2005, 08:25 AM

If you'd like to do a catamaran cruise, I can specifically recommend the white boat with a blue and white sail that beaches behind the Outrigger Waikiki for a sunset sail. It's a smaller boat so it's not as crowded, and the atmosphere is a little more mellow than some of the bigger boats.