Notices

Going to the smokies help!

Feb 22nd, 2014, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Going to the smokies help!

Hi. I'm trying to plan a trip to Tennessee. I want to be by the grand smoky mountain national park, I want to be there to see snow, beautiful nature scenery, and stay in a cabin.

What month should I go?

Cabin recommendations?

Help in General would be much appreciated!
Feb 22nd, 2014, 02:17 PM

Unfortunately snow even in the mountains of NC/Tennessee is never a guaranteed thing. January might be a possibility.
Feb 22nd, 2014, 02:54 PM

It is healthier if you go to the E-smokies.
Feb 22nd, 2014, 03:04 PM

Personally, I like the Smoky's best in October for Fall Foliage or in Late May/Early June.

If you wanting snow, I would suggest somewhere like Rocky Mountain National Park, Mount Rainier National Park, or Glacier National Park. I would suggest Late July for all of those.

Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks normally have snow(this year has been very little though). For Yosemite, I like early June best.

IMOP, the parks I mentioned are all much better snow/mountainous parks than Smoky's. The Smoky's are the most visited National Park. I have visited there several times and will go back. Part of the draw is that Pigeon Forge area is right on it's doorstep and is a dual draw for people. Plus a lot of things on the other side to do in North Carolina. In addition, an easy destination for a lot of people to reach.

One of the things that has drawn me there the past two seasons is the Fireflies that flash in unison(nomrally there about June 10 for only a few days). However, my best laid plans have not gone my way and missed them both years. I'm not trying this year, but maybe the next. It is a good park to see some wildlife, the mountains are nice, there are a variety of hikes there for all levels.

Search this Thread