Grand Canyon vs Sedona?

Old Apr 26th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Canyon vs Sedona?

We are a family of 4 with 2 girls - ages 5 and 2. We are driving from Houston to Anaheim to go to Disneyland then to San Jose for a few days to visit family and then back to Houston during the first 2 weeks in June.

My question is on the way home to Texas, we plan on spending 1 full day at the Grand Canyon to break up the drive. I'm assuming the obvious place to visit is the Grand Canyon rather than Sedona? I heard that Sedona is beautiful too. And it is closer to Flagstaff where we will be driving through.

Also, for either places, what would you recommend we see for the day keeping in mind our children's ages? I know we will be limited to what we can do because they are so young! And any lodging recommendations?

Thanks to anyone who responds. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 01:02 PM

I would freak out at the GC with such young kids..thats just me..
I'd head to Sedona and relax and enjoy the day with them.
Sedona Rouge resort and spa, BW Inn of Sedona, Hyatt or Hilton are great choices that won't break the bank..stayed at all of these hotels and they are great!
Flagstaff is around an hour or less, depending on traffic and which route you take.

Try expedia.com
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 01:26 PM

Unless you think that this may be your only opportunity to see the Grand Canyon, it seems that you may be going quite a ways off the easy route (I-10) to see it. It is beautiful and a must see but I'm not sure if the little ones will truly appreciate it and ksucat is right, you will have to watch them at all times. Sedona is also beautiful and probably a better idea. If you decide on the I-10 route, even though Phoenix is nothing spectacular, they have some great resorts to just relax from your trip. Good luck!
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 02:30 PM

Oh, I hope your 2-year-old doesn't pull her hand away to chase a bird and fall. Sorry, as much as I admire the Grand Canyon, with 2 small children I would stay in Sedona.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 03:48 PM

I went to the Grand Canyon when my kids were about that age, maybe one year older. We didn't have any problems at the Grand Canyon. I don't remember what we did with them while we were there - sorry.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 04:48 PM

I would definitely recommend Sedona over the Grand Canyon with young children. They won't understand it. I would grab some sandwiches at the Safeway deli and go down by Red Rock Crossing for a picnic, or maybe Slide Rock. Gorgeous!