Going to tampa- but not where i wanted

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after all my time and research with all the helpful ppl of this forum, my fiancee turns around and just books a hotel...Its a hotel in Tampa, Im scared to mention it and hear some horror stories- lets just say its in Westshore and on kennedy blvd.
ANYWAYYYYYY...Now my plans have changed, so now I am just trying to plan driving excursions...Im a lil annoyed , but will look on the positive side and depend more on my rental.
So yet again I come to you with hopes for good advice. Driving is no problem for me, I would like to get up early and go to a nice public (semi private) beach with beautiful sand and water. I will probably be hitting the beach on thursday one day, then maybe saturday as well. I would like a beach that is semi close to a strip, or some restaurants, maybe some shopping- so we can spend the entire day out and about. Other then that Im open minded and adventerous. So let me know which areas would be good to drive out to and spend the day. Thanks ...Again.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 09:15 AM

Not sure of the hotel you're referring to and driving , but we like Sand Key Park in Clearwater Beach, here is a link with , suggest you bring change for parking meters and nearby shopping(touristy)/dining (Frenchy's) is very low key.
http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/15_Sand_Key.htm
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 10:30 AM

Taurus, if it's the Wyndham, it is very nice. There's another hotel up the road, I don't know what it is now, it's been many things, hopefully it's nice now. But either way, your location is good for getting to other places, with close interstate access.

I'm not so familiar with the Sand Key Park rec. by JohnD but the Clearwater beaches are very nice. Some of the prettiest sand around is behind the Clearwater Beach Hotel, although I don't know if the rest of Clearwater lives up to that reputation (we are sort of picky here with our sand, something that is likely negligible to you). There is public parking on Clearwater Beach near where Hwy. 60 hits the beach (you would take a right to get to the Clearwater Beach Hotel). This would put you into an area like you want, with shops and restaurants. You can walk to Frenchy's for a grouper sandwich from here. At sunset there is a pier that has entertainment, artists, crafts, lots of people milling about, maybe music. The problem with not staying at the beach is that you get stinky and smelly and you will most likely not want to go to a nice restaurant (like the Island Way Grill nearby) without showering. Be careful when you get onto Hwy. 60 near your hotel as it is easy to end up on I-275 which takes you away from Clearwater.

Another suggestion for a very simple 30-minute trip to the beach is to go to Treasure Island. Take Kennedy Blvd. west and ramp onto I-275 South. Go all the way almost into downtown St. Pete to the Treasure Island/5th Avenue exit. Exit and turn right onto 5th Ave, go all the way until it ends. Turn left and go a few blocks to Central, turn right, go over the bridge all the way to Treasure Island. Turn left at the Gulf of Mexico (you'll see the Thunderbird Hotel). Go to your first light and turn right at West Gulf Blvd. into Sunset Beach. Caddy's Restaurant (casual) will be on your right (they will reimburse your parking charge). After lunch, get back onto Gulf Blvd., go back through Treasure Island past where you came onto the island all the way to its northern end. You'll go over John's Pass and there is a funky area there on Madiera Beach. The shopping is beachy and this is a very congested crazy area but it has a nautical flair.

Near your hotel are two great malls: Westshore Mall, the old standby, and the newer International Plaza, with high-end shops and some really good restaurants. I dined at the Bamboo Club recently and it was very good. I have a feeling things will go very well for you and your fiance if you take her to International Plaza. It is a terrific shopping extravaganza.

Be sure to take a drive through Ybor City, Tampa's historic cigar-making area, and take the drive along Tampa's Bayshore Blvd. Cruise into downtown St. Petersburg along the bayfront with the Bayfront Shops. Lunch at the historic Vinoy Hotel would be fun. A particular favorite place for me is the Florida Craftsmans Gallery on Central Avenue.

I hope things go well with your property!

Old Sep 15th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Wow Tandoori_Girl, you are so very helpful. I actually think that great sand is important, and will go out of my way just to find it. Im assuming the beach is public access. Im printing this page out and using it as a road map, along with a real one of course hee hee. But again thank you and its exactly what im looking for. im very excited to see my investment property and to see how it stood the weather. Im happy that Ivan passed you guys as well, at least thats what i just heard. thanks again
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 12:04 PM

Yes, Ivan is past and we have only his wicked step-brothers to deal with in our precarious hurricane season. Hope your trip is fun. Bring quarters for the beach (I can't remember if it's metered or through an attendant). The tickets can be nasty high.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 01:38 PM

Link with Tampa area beach info:http://www.flausa.com/interests/beac...etebeaches.php
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 06:50 PM
bluestructure

Are you staying at the Wyndham? Very nice hotel, Ive stayed there a few times and pretty nice hotel and area. Tandoori hit the spot on the nice recommendations. Also, Sand Key park in Clearwater is a very nice beach looking out towards the ocean. Go thru cleawater beach area on gulfview blvd til you get to gulf blvd (big bridge) to sand key island. Sand Key has a very nice beach. Public access/parking is on the right as soon as you come off the bridge.

This is a county park, JohnD provided a site for more info. To me, its the best beach in the area to go chill. Also, you will love international plaza...some great shopping and eats. heres a link so you can prepare , http://www.shopinternationalplaza.com/.

Old Sep 16th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone, its because of people like that I am investing in florida, and eventually plan to move there.
Old Sep 16th, 2004, 06:35 PM

Wait, Taurus. That wasn't part of the deal! We've got way too many people here already!

Haha. Just kidding. Come on down. The weather is awful, it is sooooo hot. Make sure your car AC works strong before you drive it off the lot.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Will do, and i will also write back to share my experiences.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Ok I have returned from my trip to Tampa. I thank everyone for there help, specifically tandoori girl. Ok so this is my review, I stayed at the Marriot Suites on cypress ave. It was acually a nice hotel, all suite style so it was comfortable with a small livingroom and nice small kitchenette area, refrigerator and microwave. Small pool, and continental breakfast in the morning- with a waffle maker. It was a varied selection.
Ok so the first place I went to was treasure island. The directions you gave me TG were great...a longer drive then I thought, but still fine. Treasure Island was a cute little area, ate some quick food there...it was an ok area not much to do verryyy touristy with more t-shirts and salt water taffy then you can imagine. It was a nice area to check out and to spend half the day, but I dont think I would return. But all in all a nice lil excursion.
Next we went to Clearwater Beach, at first i thought I was way off direction wise, but just followed 60 and eventually it lead us right to Clearwater Beach hotel. Now after hearing so much about the sand, the first thing I did was kick off my shoes and felt the powdery feel of the great sand. I have traveled to many places but this was by far the best sand I have felt. Now the beach was just ok...I found it to have a lot of seaweeed and have a very fishy smell as well. But all in all the beach area is very nice, family oriented. To be honest the sand and the atmosphere made it for me , enough that I would go back. After that we followed TG's advice and went to go get a great grouper sandwich...it was very delicious and was perfect for the drive to the hotel.
All in all it was a good trip with things to do, we also ate at PF changs...a place I just love to go too when in tampa and near the westshore mall. Next time I will check out the intl mall. thanks for all your help and it was appreciated.
Ohhh and the investment property looked faboulous, should be up in about 10 months. Just in case anyone is looking to rent a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath townhome .