Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

going to st. petersburg, FL anything fun i should check out?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 05:07 PM
gabi

I am going to be visiting St. Petersburg, FL with my mock trial team for our national tournament in April. Can anyone give me any ideas for good restaurants, or things to do for maybe an afternoon or evening?
Thanks so much

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:15 PM
gabi

Oh yeah, what are the beaches like in mid april?
Thank you

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:40 PM
randy

Check out FLAUSA.com for plenty of info on all of FL

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 06:50 PM
Linda

Assuming you are a student. College/high school? There will be Spring break crowds there. Ybor City in Tampa is a great "party place". Gator's is close to you- it will be fun, but only if you're over 21. If not, there will be lots of young people, so don't worry. The trolley bus runs up and down the drag from Clearwater to St Pete...suggest you try that to see some sights. It's cheap and safe!

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 04:48 AM
gabi

Thank you for your advice!

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 07:23 AM
x

do a St.Pete or St.Pete beach search on fodors

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 07:25 AM
x

there is a difference between St.Petersburg and St. Pete beach...it is quite a distance...which place are you staying?.....

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Melinda

Ybor City in Tampa is a haul but is the party place. St. Pete is pretty quiet but St. Pete Beach is fun. Quite a few beach bars and some beach volleyball going on. The weather is usually getting really nice then. Not real humid yet and warm and just plaing gorgeous. Downtown St. Pete is The Pier that is fun to roller blade around. Salvador Dali museum might be something to do if it is not nice out. The Hurricane Lounge in Pass a Grill is a fun spot. Pass a Grill Beach is the prettiest part of that area. It would help us if we knew where you were staying and if you had a car.

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 02:53 PM
gabi

I'm staying in St. Petersburg, I'm not sure if we'll have any rental cars, it depends how far the courthouse is from our hotel. We are going to be in Stetson Law School and the downtown St. Petersburg courthouse for our mock trial stuff, which will be mostly during the day, places to grab food around there, and/or places to eat and relax anywhere nearby would be great...
Thank you all for your advice so far!

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 04:07 AM
joan

Gabi, the St. Pete courthouse is close enough to walk east to the waterfront for lunch or dinner, I would think. There is a new complex of shops/restaurants/theatre downtown called Baywalk, located at 2nd street and 2nd Avenue north (St. Pete is laid out in a grid pattern, very easy to locate addresses). There's a very popular martini bar there called Dan Marino's your group might like. Also some great restaurants. About 6-7 miles away, Stetson is near St. Pete Beach (about 3 miles away), but you'll need a car. There's really nothing within walking distance of Stetson that I can think of. Lots of tiki bars along the SPBeach main drag (Gulf Blvd). Bring your swimsuit and enjoy the afternoon at the beach. It will be gorgeous in April! For cocktails and Jimmy Buffet type atmosphere, go north to the bridge at the north end of Treasure island, both sides of the bridge have bars and shopping and waterfront restaurants (Gator's on the Pass and John's Pass boardwalk). Have fun!

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 02:11 PM
gabi

Thanks to everyone again, I really appreciate your advice.

I am really excited for our trip, especially since I am an Ohio girl, and it just started snowing again...looking forward to some gorgeous weather (and lots of places to go, thanks to you guys....

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 04:00 PM
lmsa_mc

The Salvador Dali Museum in St. Pete Beach is fantastic. All the best of Dali. Be sure to take the interpretive tour of the art, it is wonderful.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:28 AM
x

marinos is expensive....you could walk out to the Pier..there are restaurants there..