Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Going to St. Paul in July....any fun ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/going-to-st-paul-in-july-any-fun-ideas-604408/)

glittergirl81 Apr 2nd, 2006 05:04 AM

Going to St. Paul in July....any fun ideas

I am going to visit family in St. Paul in the middle of July. My family is new to this area and are still exploring. I am going to be spending a few days on my own to explore and was looking for ideas. I am not really into history or walking around extravagant houses, but I do like to hike, read, have a fun night on the town. Any ideas? Minneapolis would not be too far away either.

StuQ Apr 2nd, 2006 06:04 AM

I used to live in the Twin Cities.
How old are you? that would help with some suggestions I have,

glittergirl81 Apr 7th, 2006 10:08 AM

I am in my mid-twenties.

StuQ Apr 8th, 2006 06:10 AM

I think Minneapolis has more of a night life than St. Paul. Minnesota has lots of good music clubs. There is a nice area during the day in Minneapolis called uptown. There is a great Art Museum. Always go to the Mall of America. there are some clubs there.
There are lots of lakes that you can take walks around. Lake Calhoun in Minneapolis is very popular.
I can also recommend some good restaurants at different price levels. One of my favorite all-time restaurants anywherre is called Lucia's in Minnepolis. I can think of more things if u like

AuntAnnie Apr 9th, 2006 07:19 AM

In St. Paul: Shopping on Grand Ave. and lunch at Cafe Latte (great food and sinful desserts!!)
Cathedral, State Capitol
Minnehaha Falls (hiking & picnicing)
Fort Snelling (Civil War era fort with re-enactors)
homes of F. Scott Fitzgerald and railroad magnate James J. Hill
downtown Farmer's Market
Mn Science Museum
Mn History Center Museum
In Mpls.:
Walker Art Museum & Sculpture Garden
Mpls. Institute of Arts
walk over Mississippi River on Stone Arch Bridge and see Lock & Dam
hike, bike, paddle chain of lakes (Calhoun, Isles, Harriet)
Block E for night life
Chino Latino for young fun crowd (restaurant)
Have a great visit!!

glittergirl81 Apr 11th, 2006 03:17 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions

Oohlalah Apr 14th, 2006 05:47 AM

I am from MN as well... All of the above are places that are worth checking out! Have fun and you are coming to visit when the weather is perfect! Lake Minnetonka is a really fun lake to hang out on... Lots of $$ out there... good people watching!

MNGirl2 Apr 14th, 2006 08:16 AM

Good suggestions here. Love Cafe Latte for lunch. As for nightlife...it depends on the crowd you are seeking. I wouldn't recommend the Mall of America bars, in fact I think several closed recently. But as of a couple years ago the crowd wasn't the best. Uptown is your area for more low key bars, trendy restaurants and the mid twenties, early thirties crowd. Chino Latino is fun, rooftop bar at Stella's Fish Cafe, The Independent, Figlio, Williams all are central to this area. The Warehouse District in downtown Mpls has lots of dance clubs and the crowd tends to be a bit younger, also more of a meat market. There are several bars in Northeast Minneapolis, across the river from downtown, this is an up and coming area. There are always good bands playing in Mpls, but I'm not as versed in the music scene so I can't help you much there. The Basilica Block Party, an outdoor concert may be taking place when you're here. Pick up a City Pages newspaper on the street corner, it lists restaurants and weekly bands, happenings, etc. Have fun, the Twin Cities are great in the summer!