Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Going to Portland, OR. end of the month, need advice on good seafood restaurants that won't break the budget!

Going to Portland, OR. end of the month, need advice on good seafood restaurants that won't break the budget!

Old Jul 5th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, going to Portland OR., the end of the month, love seafood, need advice on restaurants that won't break the budget, preferably with a view. Also, traveling to Diamond Lake, then to Roseburg, then up the coast: Yachats, Newport, Tillamook any suggestions for those areas? We love to try new things! Also, want to hit some wineries, any suggestions? Thank you for all info.!
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 07:02 AM

I have Portland on my list of places to visit soon and have the following site bookmarked.
http://goodstuffnw.blogspot.com/

It has a lot of great info, especially the long list of upcoming events/links on left side of page.

hope you find it useful
wintkat
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 07:11 AM

Southpark is especially good for seafood. Fenouil is good as well, and if it is warm they will have the big bay doors open to Jamison Square and the fountains might be going. Jakes Grill (not crawfish, there are 2 Jakes) is good, but not overly exciting. Higgins and Wildwood are other good places. As far as breaking the budget, we don't have anything like that, although the new Lucier is on the higher end.

The viwe from Portland City Grill is great, but you couldn't pay me to eat there. It is a meat market atmosphere with overpriced mediocre food, IMO. But you could go for a drink and then get a good meal elsewhere.

In Newport at Nye Beach there are quite a few places. We liked Cafe Stephanie for breakfast.

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 09:32 AM

Hi there! You may want to check out Newport Bay down by the waterfront, it is a floating seafood restaurant in Portland with pretty views. Have fun! ***kim***
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 09:50 AM

kimamom is talking about the former Newport Bay restaurant at Riverplace that is now known as the Marina Fish House.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 09:59 AM

When you are driving up the coast the Waterfront Depot in Florence is a great place to eat - you will need reservations.
Another place I like in Florence is Travellers Cove -they have a nice deck overlooking the river and the Florence Bridge - the food is not outstanding but they have a variety of things and its OK - most of the places on the coast are not really
"outstanding"

Close to Diamond Lake is Steamboat Inn- nice place to stop for Marionberry Cobbler and walk around the grounds - never have had dinner there but it is a nice spot.

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the suggestions - I definately want to try the Steamboat Inn for the Marionberry cobbler - we love trying new things. Has anyone walked to the boat ramp at Crater Lake? We wanted to, however I have read it is very steep, a long walk and my parents (late 70's-my dad is legally blind and broke his hip 2 yrs ago) will be with us and they do not think they could walk that trail. I wanted to see if anyone out there has and how bad of a walk is it? Thanks again!!!!
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 01:41 PM

Yes, we have walked down to the boat ramp and taken the boat ride at Crater Lake. The trail is steep, but there are benches along the way that you can stop at and catch your breath if you need. The trail is not narrow though and it is in great shape. So you don't have to dodge snags and such. There were older people when we were there and everyone we saw was glad they did it. You could try it and see, and if it is too much, just turn back.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 02:05 PM

Speaking of marionberry cobbler, that's what my partner ordered for breakfast (topped with ice cream, no less) at Mother's in Portland, our second time in two days there. I was too busy eating the salmon hash with poached eggs to care what he was ordering and eating! That salmon hash may have been the best dish I had in Portland!
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 02:29 PM

Marionberry cobbler is fabulous and especially with icecream and at any time of day or night

When I make it at home I put a few peaches and raspberries in it

yum- wish I had some now
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 02:46 PM

Marionberries should be getting ripe any time now!

When Scarlett first moved to Portland, I brought her a marionberry pie. She still remembers it I buy them at our local feed store, but Whole Foods carries them as well.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 03:02 PM

I am looking forward to the marionberry cobbler at Pacific Way Bakery & Cafe in Gearhart. We will be at our beach cottge soon in nearby Seaside for a bit! ***kim***
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Hi - we just got back from Oregon (and absolutely LOVED everything about it!) What a gorgeous state.
We went to the Steamboat Inn for marionberry pie - what a neat little place; food outstanding and loved walking around the grounds.
Also, Stephanies Cafe in Nye Beach was excellent - prices are incredibly reasonable and food just yummy. I was told to go to the Portland City Grill for a drink and the view and that was very good advice! Thanks to all who helped with my questions!
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 09:12 AM

Glad you enjoyed the Portland City Grill, we're trying to decide between here or somewhere else when we in Portland soon with our daughter and her boyfriend. ***kim***
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 10:49 AM

Kim, when are you going? I'll be there in September, maybe GTG?
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 09:30 PM

70 yr olds should not try the hike down and back up for the crater lake boat ride. We are in shape 40 year olds and the steep incline up wasn't super easy for us! and there were a lot of young people that looked fit that werent' enjoying it either!