Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Going to Petosky & Charlevoix, MI any suggestions?

Sep 12th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

I'm looking for lodging and dining suggestions in this area, golf too. Thanks in advance.
Sep 13th, 2004, 10:31 AM

Not sure when you're going, but it should be nice for a while. As for golf, try this website
http://www.michiweb.com/golf/
Sep 13th, 2004, 10:39 AM

What's your price range for lodging and dining?

I don't know Charlevoix well, but the Perry Hotel in downtown Petoskey is very nice, with an excellent location. But there are smaller chain motels on the outer edges of town that will serve just fine if you are looking for something cheaper.

Also, what type of food do you like to eat? And do you need child-friendly?
Sep 13th, 2004, 10:46 AM

The Perry also has a sister property - Staffords Bay View Inn - that we very much enjoyed a few years back.
Sep 13th, 2004, 12:01 PM

What's your price range? The Inn at Bay Harbor is very nice -- between Charlevoix and Petoskey (closer to Petoskey). If you are looking for a condo, we like Lakeside Club in Petoskey. On a small inland lake, across from the State Park. This complex is between Petoskey and Harbor Springs.

There are lots of good restaurants in the area. We like The Pier and the Arboretum (both in Harbor Springs). Also, Bay View Lodge in Petoskey. I'll try to think of others.

It is a lovely area. Charlevoix, Petoskey and Harbor Springs are within approx. 25 miles of each other - take the time to visit all three.

I'm not a golfer, so I can't really comment on that. However, I know there are some nices courses up there.
Sep 13th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Oak-planked white fish at Stafford's Weathervane Resaturant with a view of the Pine River Channel--this is in Charlevoix.

Pan-fried perch at Teddy Griffins in Harbor Springs. This is more casual than the Staffords restaurants, but the perch was great. Quite a wine list.

We stayed at a cabin (rustic and relaxing) on Crooked Lake if that's your cup of tea.
Sep 13th, 2004, 02:31 PM
je

Legs Inn in Cross Village about 20 miles north of Petoskey is a spot to try. It's an authentic Polish restaurant and in a beautiful location on the lake. The drive up there through the tunnel of trees (don't remember the route number) is amazing during daylight. You might want to check their web site on google.
Sep 13th, 2004, 02:44 PM

M-119 AKA Emmet County Scenic Route #1.

Keith