Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Going to NYC on a Whim (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/going-to-nyc-on-a-whim-87777/)

Michael Daujotas Sep 26th, 2000 09:16 AM

Going to NYC on a Whim

I'm taking my wife there for our anniversary - we have reservations for the Waldorf @ 300/night. I'm from Chicago and thought the hotel prices would be comparable to Michigan Ave. I've never been to New York - is this worth it for the money? Also, what are some good "authentic" (not touristed) places to eat in NYC?

howard Sep 26th, 2000 10:02 AM

The Waldorf is still the Waldorf in many ways and still has one of the world's beautiful hotel lobbies. As for restaurants, how about some idea on price and type of food?

lisa Sep 26th, 2000 10:10 AM

Well, the Waldorf is one of the old grande dames, and whether it's worth it is debatable. If you do a search you will find old threads with varying opinions on this very subject. First of all, $300/night is not a stratospheric rate in Manhattan. However, I did not find it to be great value for the money. I stayed there only once, on business several years ago, and all I can say is that while it was quite nice, it would not have been worth that kind of money for me to stay there on my own dime. It is well-located and lovely but not super-special in my opinion, except for its longstanding reputation and the fact that it has been around forever. I personally would rather save a little on the hotel room and splurge on the food or good theatre tickets. By the way, if you are dead-set on staying at the Waldorf there may be ways to get discounted room rates -- through a hotel reservations service like quikbook or even by calling the hotel directly and asking if any of their "staff rooms" are available (I think that's what they're called). However, if you are open to staying at another hotel, you can probably find one that will give you better value for your $300. (Just by way of comparison, I enjoyed my stay at the Drake in Chicago better than my stay at the Waldorf in New York.) Do a search using the word "Waldorf" and you should get more opinions. <BR> <BR>Happy anniversary.

Trevor Sep 27th, 2000 07:31 AM

The $300 a night price you got---what time of year is that for? And what type of room? YO'd be well advised to shop around depending on the time of year. The Waldorf=Astoria is a great "spot," but the rooms can be cramped and the service fussy. You can just as easily go to the lobby bar for an evening of music and drinkis to capture the spirit of the place. <BR>AS for restaurants, if you're in for a splurge, try Gotham just below 14th St. in the Village. <BR>Have fun! <BR>

penny Sep 27th, 2000 08:11 AM

The Waldorf is a beautiful hotel,we have been to many corporate black tie dinners in the Grand Ballroom. We have never stayed at the hotel,but the location is ideal for people watching and exploring Manhattan <BR>This is the hotel-its private towers where Frank Sinatra use to have a suite. Also many U.S. presidents have stayed chosen to stay here. <BR>AS far as authentic restaurants,I am not sure what you are asking. You will have a vast selection to chose from-touristy would be Tavern on the Green, <BR>Cafe Des Artistes would be many nyc people-Gotham is a great choice so is Gramercy Tavern. <BR>You will get excelleent assistance at the hotel,also use www.zagat.com. <BR>You will have a great time!

Kat Sep 27th, 2000 09:00 AM

I'm actually going to NYC the first time tomorrow. My travel partner found us a great rate at the Waldorf-Astora for only 179.00 a night. There's a special running from 9/29-10/2 I believe for that rate. Go to their website and check out special rates. Good Luck!

Neal Sanders Sep 27th, 2000 09:40 AM

Michael, the Waldorf prices its room just like an airline: prices go up with projected occupancy because of meetings and conventions. If they're offering a "standard" room at $300, you can expect a small room overlooking an air shaft (I had one of those earlier this year). If $300 is buying a "deluxe" room, that at least has a window facing onto a street and will likely be a larger room. An "executive" or "executive deluxe" is bigger and on a higher floor. Don't be afraid to call and ask what kind of room your money is buying on that evening and, if you don't like the sound of what you hear, shop elsewhere.

Penny Sep 27th, 2000 01:13 PM

Michael, <BR> <BR>This is a different Penny from the one who posted above. <BR> <BR>I don't know the Waldorf, but my husband and I did just return from an anniversary weekend in NYC. <BR> <BR>We stayed at the Parker Meridien, in Midtown, which was great. The reason I'm responding to you is that we got a last-minute deal from travelweb.com--$189 per night for a king-bedded room, whose rack rate is about $400. Check 'em out. (For the record--we booked online, then called travelweb to confirm, then called the hotel to request a high floor.) <BR> <BR>If you're going to the theater, there are a number of great-looking places to eat in that area. We liked Nocello (if you search for that name, you'll see my other posts about it). Also, check www.zagat.com. <BR> <BR>