Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Going to Northridge/North Hills, flying into Burbank; where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I have to go to an auction house to go through 50 boxes of personal papers from the estate of a relative; we will stay on for another day or so to deal with an auction. The auction house/storage place is in the North Hills area, kind of near Northridge, and we fly into Burbank, rent a cargo van (any suggestions for that?) and then drive back up to the SF Bay Area.

Would love a referral for a hotel or motel preferably suite style for two adult siblings to stay -- not near freeway noise, clean, safe, probabty $100-$200/night range for a couple of nights (it's a working not touring trip but nice if it's pleasant).

Best I found so far is Embassy Suites in Valencia, but that's 20 minutes/miles away.

Appreciate any other suggestions.
Old Feb 5th, 2010, 10:49 PM

The Guesthouse Inn on Sepulveda by the 118 freeway could be an option.
Old Feb 5th, 2010, 10:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This place is in Northridge, west of CalState Northridge, probably about 10-15 minutes from North Hills. Mixed reviews on TripAdvisor.

http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/f...sp?hotelID=957

Do you have an exact address for the auction house? There would be more lodging to choose from in Burbank, and Burbank might be just as convenient.

I'd do whatever you can to reduce the number of boxes to fit into a minivan or large SUV or even two vehicles. Anything but a cargo van. But that's me.

If you must, there's always U-Haul:

http://www.uhaul.com/
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, and I'm with you on the cargo van and dread it; Budget has a 12 passenger van and I'm hoping the seats fold down; I'm just trying to avoid a truck....
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 10:38 AM

Burbank is a good suggestion, although some hotels may have noise if close to the freeway. Also, there are several hotels in Stevenson Ranch (5 miles closer on the I-5 than Embassy Suites in Valencia), but they would have I-5 freeway noise. Further west is Chatsworth, and Staybridge Suites and the Radisson Hotel. They would be about 15-20 minutes from North Hills and an easy drive on surface streets to North Hills.
The Guesthouse Inn is not in a desirable location, and has some transients.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 11:46 AM

Oh my, I have relatives who have stayed at the Guesthouse. I wonder why they didn't mention undesirables. Disregard my suggestion, annw.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 12:07 PM

Maybe the Guesthouse just doesn't appeal to me and I've heard few stories. I sometimes meet friends at a nearby coffee shop.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 04:03 PM

We like the Residence Inns. There is one in Burbank. It's no big deal to drive from Burbank to North Hills.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...bank-downtown/
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the suggestions!

My sister thinks the boxes will fit in a large SUV, so that's what we'll try to rent....
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 07:59 AM

We had to do a very similar trip a couple years ago. We ended up staying at a hotel by Stevenson Ranch...I am thinking it was a Hampton Inn. Anyway, we did not have any issues with noise, but then again we were dirt tired by the time we got to the hotel each night. We really liked that we could walk to get dinner.

I hope all goes well. We too dealt with an auction house and I must say it was much faster/better than I had anticipated.

We rented a UHaul trailer and hooked it up to our SUV and brought the items back home to WA.

Best wishes to you
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mms! I'm hoping it goes well; glad yours did.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

We stayed at the Embassy Suites Valencia (Near Santa Clarita) and it worked out great! Right near I-5 but very quiet and a lovely hotel with excellent and helpful staff. I'd recommend it.

We rented a Chevy Tahoe hybrid which we packed to the gills and which nonetheless got great gas mileage.

Thanks all for the helpful advice!
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 11:48 AM

Nice to hear the good report!