Chicago Arlington House Hostel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2009, 12:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Chicago in November for a couple of days and since I'm on a tight budget I booked the Arlington House Hostel because it's in a lively area and cheap. However, I've read both positive and negative (bed bugs !) reviews about it so my question is if somebody has stayed there and want to give me their opinion. Also, any other recommendations about budget hotels in the Lincoln Park neighbourhood would be appreciated. Thanks in advance !
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 06:22 AM

Have you checked www.hotwire.com or considered bidding on priceline after reading up at www.betterbidding.com?

If your reservation is cancellable, you MAY be able to get something much nicer for the same or nearly the same price.

Also check www.biddingfortravel.com
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 07:16 AM

I haven't stayed at the hostel, sorry, but I agree with lincasanova - if your budget isn't "dirt cheap" you may be able to get a good deal on Hotwire or Priceline, especially if you're willing to stay in the Mag Mile/Streeterville or Loop areas in addition to Lincoln Park. (The Loop isn't that lively at night, but the Magnificent Mile area would put you near Rush Street for nightlife.) I've gotten a room for under $100 in the Streeterville area on Hotwire (that was March, though; I'm not sure how the number of visitors in November vs. March compare).

If it must be a hostel, you might try asking on the Lonely Planet forum, the Thorntree. It caters more to a backpacker/hostelling demographic and someone there might be more likely to have the answers you're after.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...spa?forumID=26
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 11:34 AM

Have you looked at the Harris Hostel in The Loop? Their rates for shared rooms are similar and it gets consistently high marks. It's within two blocks of the Orange, Brown, Red and Blue Line CTA trains and a short distance from Union Station and the Greyhound terminal. Check their site at www.hichicago.org.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies !